Monday, January 6, 2014

Come, Sit by the Fire (again)

























Hello, friends!  A blessed new year to you!  Let's talk....

And as always, you can return to the Cloistered Heart blog by clicking on this line. 

65 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Sunshine award nomination, Nancy. I loved reading your 10 things about yourself. Wishing you a blessed new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin. A blessed new year to you, too!

      Delete
  2. Nancy, you are such a sweetheart and a kind soul. Thank you for the Sunshine award! I am honored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, you are definitely a ray of sunshine in cyberspace! Thanks for such sweet words.

      Delete
  3. Nancy...The woman version of a 'Barnabas' Always an encourager !! Thank you for blessing us with so many wonderful posts in 2013...and looking forward to what you'll share in 2014. Happy and Blessed New Year to a very 'young' soul. +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, what a very kind thing to say. Thank you so much! It's nice to be called a "young soul," too - which I will think about next time I'm driving a pretend car (the sofa) with my granddaughter, both of us wearing (CLEAN!!!!) diapers on our heads as hats.

      Delete
  4. Colleen, I love all that you write - and happy new year to you also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey colleen- I gave you the award too..and i was first!! so much for humble pie, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Which means that you are double sunshine, Colleen! :) I just noticed the duplication myself, when I went down through Melanie's list a few minutes ago (why didn't I think to do that before?) and checked out all the terrific blogs.

    It's nice to have double sunshine in midwinter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy, you bring too much Sunshine to me not to rename you for one! Which I did LOL +

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy, I am really enjoying the new look at what a Cloistered Heart is and how to nourish it in our daily life.
    I have been arrested for days by this particular sentence of yours in Toward the Cloister Door.... "Forever on the path, ready to make the journey but unable to let go of all that holds me to the earth." I see a finger pointing in my direction and confronting me over my procrastinations. Your words are not only truly beautiful in that post...they have powerfully reached a deep place within me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, thank you so much. The sentence you quoted is so much me..... so much "forever where I am." But I know we are both determined to journey on!!!

      Delete
  9. Oh dear, I forgot to thank you for passing on the sunshine award! That was so kind of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog is such a place of prayerful peace, Trish.

      Delete
  10. 'One cannot give Christ a limited place in one's life,' That's the truth. He wants every room in the house and all the closets and stuff hidden in between. +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Caroline. And the closets are just what I'd rather He not see - but they are what He needs to clean out. They are what He wants to HEAL. So, let it be. With a gulp I say: let it be.

      Delete
  11. Recently found your blog - I just love it - the paintings are wonderful - Thank you for telling who painted them.
    Do you know the artist on the song for the Redemptionest video - The words are so perfect. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Robin! I'm so glad you're here.

    The singer for the video is John Michael Talbot. I think this song is on his CD "The Hiding Place." Not totally sure about that, but I THINK so.

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the link, Nancy. I knew what a "postulant" was, but I never really gave any thought to what it means to "postulate"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that either, Renee - it was great new information for me!

      Delete
  14. Hello Nancy! Sorry to be so late in saying thank you for the Sunshine award! Thank you! I have finished my 9-day Joan of Arc novena and I will be blogging about my reward shortly. You will see that once again I have re-designed my blog...I can't resist playing with templates and colors! Thank you again and happy blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gloria, I LOVED what you wrote for the award! So much fun!

      I really like what you do with templates and colors. I love to re-design too, but then tend to chicken out when it comes down to making it "permanent."

      Delete
  15. Good Afternoon Nancy! I have come by way of Trish and of course brought here by Our Lord. Your space is beautiful and so inspiring and encouraging. Thank you so much for creating it. In His Love, Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, I'm so glad you're here! Thank you for such kind words!!!

      Delete
  16. Your Own Living Tabernacle...a powerful prayer that rings with authenticity and echoes the yearnings of my own heart..of course I am in love with the painting as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie! I love the painting too... doesn't she look quite "cloistered" behind that veil?

      Delete
  17. Oh yes, a miracle indeed. How good He is to give us the Gift of Himself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nancy,

    Although I have been reading your posts, I haven't popped into the parlor for a while. Sit by the fire... at least it is raining and cool, so that invitation sounds attractive despite it being summer here!

    I love those lines from psalm 139. I included some of that psalm in Thomas' book. It seemed so appropriate.

    Thank you for the link to Renee's post. Yes, Catholics are very misunderstood by many Protestants. Our faith is so very beautiful. How can we not have a personal relationship with Christ when He is there in our tabernacles waiting for us, and offering Himself in Communion? I tried to share this with my Jehovan's Witness lady but she just didn't understand. But I think she was affected by the love in my words. She hugged me before she said goodbye! It was a special moment.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost didn't make it to the Parlor myself.... I missed discovering there were 3 new comments, but thankfully found these tonight!

      I had been planning essentially the same post Renee did - except I couldn't get "inspired" as to how to lead into it. Then I found hers and thought "why re-invent the wheel?"... it's already there!

      Sue, I think you said something very important here. The lady was affected by the LOVE in your words. I have a feeling the Holy Spirit was shining right through you!

      It's ALWAYS so good to have you here, Sue.

      Delete
  19. 'Nor was my frame unknown'..Isn't that one of the greatest truths of our faith? What love is ours because the God of the universe knew us before we were even born. Amazing.. +

    ReplyDelete
  20. happy feast day for without st francis where would st jane have gotten the help she needed when she needed it:):):) a very blessed combination for all of us:):):) MB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, MB! Yes, God obviously put St. Francis and St. Jane just where they needed to be to do His work. Thanks for remembering it is a special feast day for me - I'm so glad you stopped by! MB2

      Delete
  21. Nancy, I love all those wonderful saintly quotes about creating a cell within our interior monastery!
    Catherine Doherty's writings have always spoken to me..I've long treasured the concept of coming aside from the world to spend time with Jesus in my soul's poustinia.
    And St Francis speaking of the "hermit living within our body" fills me with a peace and joy that says 'Yes! That's what I am...in the midst of the loudest throng and largest crowd, I am still alone with My Lord..in the deep and secret place where the two of us sit and smile at each other in that silence which drowns out all the passing, transient surface noise of life.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trish! The saints who lived this make me feel so "very much not alone" in this kind of life!

      Delete
  22. Oh Nancy, that video is really beautiful! I see what you mean..it does speak to the Cloistered Heart charism!

    The scenes of the friar walking through city streets made me think of my recent visit interstate to see my eldest son. He lives in the second largest city of Australia and took us walking down one of the most popular and trendy streets. We saw a lot of nice shops and cafes..but I had an uneasy feeling of sadness as I wandered along..I soon realised why. My husband stopped to admire some old copper boilers and things that were used as a café window display and went inside to chat with a young man serving inside. My son said to me "Did you see the name of this place, Mum?" I looked up to the sign above me and at the black tee-shirt the young man was wearing and I read, "Naked for Satan". My poor hubby hadn't noticed. A little later at a clothing store we bought some things as a gift for our son, and on the wall behind the checkout there was a crude picture proclaiming "Hail Satan". I left there verbally praising Jesus and kept it up as we continued our sight-seeing walk. My mind was heavy.. but my heart was literally soaring with God's praises in defiance of the darkness I saw.
    It really shocked me...but apparently most people don't bat an eyelid at such things now.
    Some days I wish I had the courage to sing in the streets too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something I read by Archbishop Fulton Sheen recently spoke of it being good to feel upset (I'm paraphrasing) by such things, because it shows our souls are oriented in a Godly direction. That's my poor paraphrase, but you hopefully can tell what he meant. Praising Jesus is key, as you well know.

      I have watched that video over and over today. I'm absolutely crazy about it. I want it sealed into my heart, imprinted on my brain.

      Thank you, Trish!

      Delete
  23. that video by the Black Friars is ebbued with the Holy Spirit-powerful, gives me the shivers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Melanie. It really encapsulates the whole "scene" of the cloistered heart for me - like nothing ever has, but I always wished it would. When he starts to lift his arms in the middle of the station (about midway through), something in me lifts as well.

      Delete
    2. Same thing happens for me Nancy...it's such a truly powerful image!
      He seems 'detached' as he walks the streets..but aware of everything at the same time...he's journeying there in one passing reality...but standing transfixed with Christ in the unchanging Reality of God.

      Delete
    3. Oh Trish, how perfectly you put that .... that is it exactly!! I'm thinking (already!) of posting the video again later on... maybe putting it on a "page." Might I have your permission to use what you wrote with it?

      Delete
    4. Yes, Nancy.. use it however you wish. It will be wonderful to have a page with that inspiring video...the music is as beautiful as the visuals! xx

      Delete
  24. Nancy, love this from St. Sophronius: "The Mother of God, the most pure Virgin, carried the true light in her arms and brought him to those who lay in darkness."

    Beautiful, and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have such a treasure left to us in writings of saints! Thank you, Kathryn.

      Delete
  25. "..in my tiny cell, alone with God yet aware of the silent presence of others. I was with God, others were with God - and we were all connected. A wide hall linked us together."

    Oh, how perfect!
    I have never experienced this in a physical place....but I know it in the Spirit.
    God be praised!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Experiencing it in the Spirit is a gift immeasurable, isn't it? God be praised, indeed! Thank you, Trish.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nancy your Valentine's Day post is so very beautiful and inspiring! Made me think of this old song and how I can relate it to my love for Christ and His powerful and public declaration of love for me...for us all!

    Once I had a secret love
    That lived within the heart of me
    All too soon my secret love
    Became impatient to be free.
    Now I shout it from the highest hill
    even told the lowly daffodil.
    At last my heart's an open door
    And my secret love's NO SECRET anymore!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Trish! I thought of the same song and hummed it all evening. Think I'll start shouting now. SHOUTING!!!!!

      Delete
  28. Nancy,
    Great Valentine's post. I heard Rosalind Moss, years ago, refer to the Bible as God's love letter to us. I never forgot that and have found it to be more true the deeper I delve into it.
    I am not familiar with the song you and Trish refer to, but I couldn't agree more with its message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karin, I guess that's what you get for being young :) !! I remember it from childhood. Tred to put in a link - it won't let me in a comment. But it's on YouTube. Anyone interested can google Secret love Doris Day YouTube.... and there is is.

      Delete
  29. What a beautiful blog you have created. Our world is in such need of hearts completely full of Christ love and passion. I signed up to receive posts in my email. God bless all of you who live monasticism within the world. May our hearts continue to burn with his love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Janelle! I say a huge amen to your prayer!!!!

      Delete
  30. today is a very special day for the sponsor of our chat room-- have a happy anniversary of your 39th again-- I know that God is very pleased with you and your efforts to bring us a little closer to Him:):):) MB

    ReplyDelete
  31. "..they scaled the heights of sanctity by the ladder of loving aspirations of prayer."

    Oh my, how I love this!
    It's a perfect 'little way' for short-legged souls like me!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to my fellow short-legged soul! Thank God for His ladder. And His lift!

      Delete
  32. Nancy,
    I love this excerpt on the indwelling of the Trinity. It is so important to remember, but yet very easy to forget. The distractions and attractions of the world seem to creep in and take up the room meant for God. Thanks God for His mercy and His patience with us. Your post made me think of Patricia's today about de-cluttering our souls. The two posts really do compliment each other. :) Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of the connection, Karin - but yes, the two posts do compliment each other! Thank you.

      Delete
  33. 'O God, take this body of mine, consecrate it, let it never be defiled by sin.' That's a prayer I can take right into the start of Lent. You always post just the right words, Nancy.
    Blessings always +

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh Nancy...tears!!! How MUCH I value this blog! How MUCH it aides my soul and fuels my desire to more available interiorly to Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I am so grateful for such kind, kind words. Thank you! Have a blessed Lent.

      Delete