Saturday, June 29, 2013

Still Relaxing


Opening another conversation, another garden view, and how good to be able to gather here!

As always, you may return to the Cloistered Heart blog by clicking on this line.  
 



34 comments:

  1. well, almost every quote you choose, makes tears come to my eyes and stirs a longing in my heart, usually without my mind engaging; doesn't make any sense logically. I mean why should a discussion of the scent of flowers separately in meditation or combined as in contemplation move me? Only answer is that the words are written in the Spirit to touch my spirit, bang> heart to heart.And YOU have an uncanny nose that smells the scent of His Spirit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Melanie, I think that makes perfect sense.... I think our little human minds are not able to comprehend what our hearts just KNOW on some level (NOW who has to ask if she's making sense?). Bang ... heart to heart. God to a saint to us. Bang bang bang. :)!

      Delete
    2. Yup, we definetely talk the same language- I am grinning,widely, threatening to burst out loud with joy. YOU are a gift.

      Delete
  2. Nancy,

    Another Winslow Homer painting! It's strange how mental gloom can descend without warning and how different the world can look when it does. I always feel responsible for such a mood. It's good to be reminded such a mood will pass, and not to pay it any attention. I must say I prefer joyful moods but I guess we have to accept all God allows. Actually, I had such a joyful Sunday after weeks of struggle. I was filled with such hope. God is good! Thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This mental gloom will pass." Just the words of encouragement I needed today! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I so needed this today, Nancy !! I too, always feel responsible for such a mood especially when I get stuck on the condition of the world or the church..
    Thank you. +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I keep finding paintings I love and then discover they're Winslow Homers! Maybe it's time for me to look for a book of his work, for I do enjoy much of it.

      Anne and Caroline, I have needed these words also, and keep coming back to them. And then I feel responsible for "bringing it on myself." I'm glad the words from this wise writer helped you also.

      Delete
    2. I will look up this artist. I keep discovering more and more icons, stained glaee and fine art that nourishes mt spirit, just as strongly as nature and books. I feel the Spirit moving form the art into me uplifting, enlightening and most of filling me with the joy of the Lord.

      Delete
  5. I just spent a wonderful long weekend on the West Coast for my husband's family reunion. At every stage of the trip, I looked for the hidden cloister in my situation. My seat on the plane became my "choir stall" for those six hours. The stark many-doored hallway of the hotel where we spent the first night. . . its impersonally furnished room. . . the long log-walled hall at the house where we stayed. . . the corner I set up in our room with crucifix, ikon and candle and to which I retreated at intervals throughout the days . . . I saw it all in monastic terms. Thank you again for your insight into the Christian life that has so many applications!

    Monika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monika, I am so struck by your words. You have captured the essence of cloistered heart imagery in a few marvelous sentences. Would it be okay with you if I use them in an upcoming Cloistered Heart post - I can keep it totally anonymous without your first name. Since anyone from there can come here and find this anyway :), I will assume that's okay unless I "hear" otherwise??? I am so struck by the image of a plane seat being a choir stall, especially at this time of year when many people travel. It shows it in such a real way.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Please feel free to use anything you'd like from my comment; I would be honored! Thank you for your kind words.

    On Friday, I saw Of Gods and Men. It is about a monastery in Algeria during the 90s. The monks come under threat from terrorists and have to decide whether to flee or stay. Their peaceful deliberate life appears in sharp contrast to the violence around them. (And, just now, that reminds me of your most recent post -- the clouds are gathering.) Also in this film, the idea that God's will becomes clear, even in difficult questions, through the very living of daily life and faithfulness to prayer.

    Today the Benedictine priest who celebrated Mass said in his homily on Jacob's ladder ("This is nothing else but an abode of God, and that is the gateway to heaven!”) that we are like "portable buildings" -- sanctuaries of God. That made me think of your blog too, what you post about being "His refuge."

    Monika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing what the priest said about the portable buildings - portable sanctuaries. Wonderful!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for posting "A light for our way." The storms are gathering, but so are His people! So, I am not surprised that your post "To Carry the Fire" hit so close to what is being said in this new encyclical. The Spirit blows where it will! He is pouring out His love on us! Thanks for posting, I take encouragement from your insight to hold up that candle and allow it to shine openly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Heidi! Yes, He is pouring out His love. Now, we just need to receive it!

      Delete
  8. great quote, even better picture. we are definetly on the same page, hearing the same words

    Words whispered in my heart.

    You think that you are building my Church

    With all your hectic activity.

    You are hindering my work.

    All I want,

    All I need,

    Is for you to

    Come and stand

    At the foot of my Son’s Cross.

    Let the fire of His Love

    Pierce your Heart,

    Transforming you into

    His Presence on Earth .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy.. I have yet to read the encyclical, but you've inspired me to read it. I hope to be part of the crowd God is gathering and "carry the fire."
    Beautiful posts..
    Blessings +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no question that you are a gifted "fire carrier," Caroline.. answering His call to share His loving truth!

      Delete
  10. Nancy, love your post on the "light." It's so true...no contest when light and darkness meet. In our hotel room recently, a tiny crack in the draperies was enough to have the sun pouring in and waking us up every morning, even though the drapes had blackout lining. Just that speck of light illuminated the whole room. Jesus said that we are the light of the world. Maybe we are casting more light than we realize...like the crack in the curtain. I hope so. Imagine seeing Him in Whom there is no darkness!!! Thanks for your never ending inspiration, Nancy...xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful image, Patricia - thank you SO much for sharing it!

      Delete
  11. "Wheresoever God is our chief concern, environment is of little account."
    wow.. I am ALMOST speechless :)

    I KNOW that this phrase is true; as St.paul says either rich or poor, in prison or not, slave or freeman, all that is important is the Love of god, dwelling in the love of God.
    y husband and i tease well we have seen the poorer, sicker and bad times we are waiting for the richer, healthier and better times :). Actually the Joy of the Lord is intense in our lives, although it makes no earthly sense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main thing is that it makes PERFECT heavenly sense!!!!! What a blessing... the greatest of all.

      Delete
  12. God dearest, how much did I so need that little white star in blue to appear in the corner of my apple favourites. I've been totally absent most of the time, flagging under the weight of my degrees last + previously deferred assignments. And your little post is holding me. Thanks be to God x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nancy, this needs to be posted on my fridge and carried 'in my pocket' because during the day sure enough will come that temptation when I critique myself thinking," I'll never accomplish anything for the Lord ... I haven't any "occupation, position or popularity" in the world's eyes.
    "Work for souls is accomplished, for the most part, in silence.."
    Beautiful.

    Blessings and +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It needs to be on my fridge too... I actually may put it there! Thank you, Caroline.

      Delete
  14. great analogy, especially the phrase is your home a santuary for the Holy Spirit or a den of theives, steling from God (liberal Melaneism)

    another fridge quote and maybe a post with link to you of course

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nancy, I can so relate to you Back to Basics post. My own grille gets lost in the pile of distractions, especially the ones that come from fatigue. My grille seems to not so much come apart, but gets covered up by those distractions. My worst is TV. I need to go back to my Lenten practice of fasting from it!
    As for beating myself up, I have done my share as well. While I certainly can pray more often, harder and better, the devil is the one who likes us to beat ourselves up over our weaknesses. He too is a distraction of sorts.
    I think too there is the danger of feeling like we are each alone in this battle of distractions. We forget that all of us, even the saints when they walked this earth, battled them. So thank you for this post that reminds us that we all share in this and that if we strive to do our best it is enough. And when we fall short of our best, we can always begin again. The grille is always able to be cleaned up and repaired if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nancy...I can't tell you how I much I struggle with every single thing you said in Back to Basics. Oh, how it helps to know I'm not alone in this battle of distractions ...Over and overI thank St Benedict who teaches we're always beginners. It's me that's not OK with it all when the balance comes undone. I so badly just want to stay focused. Is this where we embrace our humanity and offer our failings to the Lord ? : )
    Thank you for this post
    Blessings +

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Karin and Caroline. I, too, am helped so much to know I'm not alone in the battle of distractions. And I can relate to distractions that come from fatigue - o indeed. Sometimes it seems like prayer takes such EFFORT (a lie, for sure, isn't it?!). Yes, the saints battled these things also. Thank God for the encouragement they have left for us! And thank God for the encouragement we can be for one another, right here, right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm struggling too. I have several apps on my iPad -- Rosary, Divine Office, Magnificat but I can never get around to using them. I don't know why. I have a Rosary CD in the car to listen to on the way to work, I start out good then I get distracted and never turn it back on. I can't seem to find and sustain a daily prayer routine. I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

      Delete
    2. God has given us a gift in one another, I'm convinced. I will be praying for everyone here as I go now into the evening. Harriett, I too have so many things that I don't get around to using. It seems that a key word with every one of us is distraction, distraction, distraction!! Thanks be to God that we all know we're not alone. May He polish up our grilles !

      Delete
  18. What a wonderfully honest and open post. We all can wrap our hands around each and every word you have written, I think. Or maybe I should just speak for my self :) Day to day life is challenging, isn't it? And then add in the host of un-expecteds that come barreling at us (this is real life, right?!) and POOF! Before you know it carefully planned and scheduled prayer and devotion times are up in smoke. For they can be among the first to go, right? Again, speaking for myself. :)

    Very, very familiar. But let me share what I have learned. By laying the foundation of strong prayer and devotion in the quieter times, I've been able to better handle the demands of the busier times, when even the best laid plans seem to fall to pieces! I'm able to slip behind that grille a little more easily, in the car, in the company of many, in line at the store, as demands of home and life collide, when I need to most.

    This morning was the first time in weeks that I was able to sit quietly for morning devotions. With no one on my lap. Without nagging thoughts of that neglected blog, or the piles of unfinished projects. A shop needing to be restocked. Concerns about raining grands, an ailing spouse. Dishes needing to be done, laundry folded. Blogs unread. Even the pups slept in, granting me a bit of reprieve from their immediate needs. It wasn't the morning devotion I had thought it would be, burrowed in Scripture (which I love) but rather a quiet time of mediation and reflection. Right where I needed to be. Right where I believe He needed me to be. And in my heart, I know that sometimes 'the best I can do' is okay, too. The mental prayer throughout the day, the quick ducks behind the grille, regrouping, a chance to focus on God's will for me. At that moment.

    I gather strength knowing others have the same struggles and that we are able to encourage each other on. Such strength in numbers and the power of prayer. Wishing each of you a grace-filled weekend and peace in your hearts. xoxox ~ paula

    ReplyDelete
  19. We may now comment on the Cloistered Heart blog itself! "Y'all come!"

    ReplyDelete