Thanks for sharing the last scene of The Passion. I have only watched the movie once. I didn't have the courage to view it a second time. I know Mary didn't have any choice but to stand by and watch Jesus suffer... But hey! It's Easter and we are full of joy!
I hope you are enjoying the Easter octave. God bless!
I'm just like you, Sue... I never had the courage to see the movie a second time. I came home from seeing the film on a cold Ash Wednesday afternoon ( the day it was released, as I recall), and was so chilled and quivery that I got into bed for a nap (I NEVER do that). I was worn out and shaking like someone with a high fever. An appropriate reaction, perhaps, for someone who loves Our Lord - but I've just never been able to bring myself to see it again. Maybe for some of us it's a once in a lifetime kind of film.
Nancy, I am so thoroughly delighted to have found your blog. (You recently found one of mine: Catholic Kids Say the Dearest Things.) Our formation director has used your article on the Cloistered Heart from the Review for Religious many times in her formation of our novices as they get ready for active life as a Sister. And I have given it to so many of my friends. I will look forward to coming back here often. May God continue to meet you intimately in your cloister.
Sr. Dorcee Clarey, Superior of The Servants of God's Love www.servantsofgodslove.net
Sister Dorcee, thank you so much for your very kind words. What a joy to hear from you! I was laughing out loud at Catholic Kids Say the Dearest Things. I am familiar with your wonderful Community, and put a link to it (to the blog .. and oh, I hope I did it correctly!) on my more "out in the Catholic world" blog, which is at thebreadboxletters.blogspot.com.
Again, thank you so much for stopping over in our little "parlor" :)
Such a beautiful painting of the nun in the garden. Have you seen Sir John Everett Millais' painting "The Vale of Rest"? One nun is digging a grave while another sits alongside. I imagine because you're such a big art lover, you are probably very familiar with this work, but I'll leave a link in case anyone else wants to share it! http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/millais-the-vale-of-rest-n01507
Yes, I have seen that painting, and in fact almost used it in the blog once. The one of St. Clare was a 'new one' for me, however, and I loved it immediately.
Hi all! Someone just left a comment that disappeared as I attempted to respond. Perhaps it was a type of spam? If it was from a "real person," thank you to whoever wrote it, and may God bless you on this Divine Mercy Sunday!
That may have been me, I am new to blogging and have no clue what I'm doing. My original message was that I found this site on Pinterest. I am interested in this and would like to learn more.
Harriett, this is the strangest thing. I just wrote a LONG reply, and it got lost again! My son with a computer science degree came in the room and tried to help me out ... he is stumped as to why this happened! Twice! So I am going to post this, and then try to write you immediately after....
Well, it worked that time. So - THANK YOU, Harriett, for such patience!
The simplest way to read a newfound blog, perhaps, is to go to the "cloud" of words on the sidebar. There will be words like "monastery," "grille," "prayer," etc. If you click on one of those, it will open a page with every previous post I've tagged as being about that. I think there is one with the phrase "cloistered heart." That would get you started with the basic idea.
I'm afraid to write more lest I LOSE it all again :)! Hopefully this will get you started. Please come back here and let us know how you've fared through it! Because blogs read "backwards," I frankly find them confusing!
I don't feel so stupid now. I am interested in the concept of being cloistered. I came back to the Church after the death of my husband 2 1/2 years ago. During his illness a lot of people were praying for us. After his death a "voice" told me to go the Cathedral here in St Louis and pray. I felt I was being led to the Blessed Sacrament chapel (I had never been in that part of the church before) and after that I came back to the faith. I am still trying to figure out God's plan. I really would like to know about being cloistered and would appreciate hearing from you.
Harriett, I would love to chat with you more! I don't have personal access to commenters' e-mail addresses, but my own is on the sidebar of the cloistered heart blog. It is written as it is to prevent spambot dialing and all that kind of thing. Just substitute @ for the word at, and . for the word dot. that should get you right through to my own e-mail, and I'd LOVE to hear from you!
Don't you ever sleep? Up past mid-night? It was after 1 am when you published your latest post!
The painting, by Nannette Bleuler, Rheinfall... made me think of Elizabeth Goudge's book "Green Dolphin Street". Have you read it? In the story there is a convent perched up on a cliff overlooking the sea.
Green Dolphin St. sounds like MY KIND OF BOOK!!!! Is it actually about, or taking place in, the convent? I've heard of the author and think I read a book of hers years ago, but don't know this title.
Thank you, Sue. I am LOVING your alphabetical posts and look forward to them every day!
Elizabeth Goudge was an Anglican clergyman's daughter. She weaves her faith in and out of her stories. I at first thought she was a Catholic as her beliefs are indistinguishable from ours. (High Anglican?) One of her main characters in Green Dolphin Street enters the convent. It's a big part of the book but not the whole setting. The book is excellent with various characters struggling with the idea that they must do what is right, rather than what they desire, which isn't always easy. Not a very good summary of the book but I'm hopeless at reviews. At least I haven't given the plot away! You might have to look for a secondhand copy as I think all of Goudge's books are out of print. Our library has some though.
Have you read Rumer Goddens' book, In This House of Brede? That's set in a Benedictine Abbey. Very good! We were talking about this on Patricia's blog some months ago, so you probably have heard of it.
The main thought that's with me from your post today... the idea of being safe within the cloister. When Felicity entered the convent I remember friends saying, "She's going somewhere safe." I am looking forward to hearing more about how the cloistered heart is a safe place.
Thank you for reading my ABC posts! I really do appreciate your comments. It really is good of you to keep coming back for the next story!
I am off and running to try to find the Green Dolphin Street book! Sounds wonderful.
I read In this House of Brede for the first time when I was in University. It had a profound effect on me. Still does (last time I read it was maybe 10 years ago, but I consider that in the range of "still").
Oh, it is totally selfish of me to keep coming back for your next ABC stories... I look forward to them DAILY!
Nancy, I am so glad you are re-visiting the back to basics of the cloistered heart. I definitely need a refresher. I have read your book and have many areas highlighted, but it is nice to do this with you leading us here as well. Looking forward to your next few posts on this. Thanks and God bless.
I am loving this Nancy, Thank you for rewinding and allowing me to read from the beginning...and like Vicky, I can't wait to see what's next. Blessings and +
May you have a blessed Easter Season.
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed and grace filled Easter Nancy! Thanks for inspiring everyday : )
ReplyDeleteAlleluia! A most happy and holy Eastertide to you, Nancy.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, Melanie and Theresa and Tess! I appreciate your kind words and your friendship; may you have a blessed Eastertide!
ReplyDeleteA very Blessed Easter Season to you Nancy..And C Marmion..is one of my absolute favorites ..Blessings and +
ReplyDeleteThanks very much, Caroline... and a blessed Easter season to you also!
DeleteNancy,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the last scene of The Passion. I have only watched the movie once. I didn't have the courage to view it a second time. I know Mary didn't have any choice but to stand by and watch Jesus suffer... But hey! It's Easter and we are full of joy!
I hope you are enjoying the Easter octave. God bless!
I'm just like you, Sue... I never had the courage to see the movie a second time. I came home from seeing the film on a cold Ash Wednesday afternoon ( the day it was released, as I recall), and was so chilled and quivery that I got into bed for a nap (I NEVER do that). I was worn out and shaking like someone with a high fever. An appropriate reaction, perhaps, for someone who loves Our Lord - but I've just never been able to bring myself to see it again. Maybe for some of us it's a once in a lifetime kind of film.
DeleteNancy, I am so thoroughly delighted to have found your blog. (You recently found one of mine: Catholic Kids Say the Dearest Things.) Our formation director has used your article on the Cloistered Heart from the Review for Religious many times in her formation of our novices as they get ready for active life as a Sister. And I have given it to so many of my friends. I will look forward to coming back here often. May God continue to meet you intimately in your cloister.
ReplyDeleteSr. Dorcee Clarey, Superior of The Servants of God's Love
www.servantsofgodslove.net
Sister Dorcee, thank you so much for your very kind words. What a joy to hear from you! I was laughing out loud at Catholic Kids Say the Dearest Things. I am familiar with your wonderful Community, and put a link to it (to the blog .. and oh, I hope I did it correctly!) on my more "out in the Catholic world" blog, which is at thebreadboxletters.blogspot.com.
DeleteAgain, thank you so much for stopping over in our little "parlor" :)
Nancy,
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful painting of the nun in the garden. Have you seen Sir John Everett Millais' painting "The Vale of Rest"? One nun is digging a grave while another sits alongside. I imagine because you're such a big art lover, you are probably very familiar with this work, but I'll leave a link in case anyone else wants to share it! http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/millais-the-vale-of-rest-n01507
Yes, I have seen that painting, and in fact almost used it in the blog once. The one of St. Clare was a 'new one' for me, however, and I loved it immediately.
DeleteThank you, Sue!
Hi all! Someone just left a comment that disappeared as I attempted to respond. Perhaps it was a type of spam? If it was from a "real person," thank you to whoever wrote it, and may God bless you on this Divine Mercy Sunday!
ReplyDeleteThat may have been me, I am new to blogging and have no clue what I'm doing. My original message was that I found this site on Pinterest. I am interested in this and would like to learn more.
DeleteHarriett, this is the strangest thing. I just wrote a LONG reply, and it got lost again! My son with a computer science degree came in the room and tried to help me out ... he is stumped as to why this happened! Twice! So I am going to post this, and then try to write you immediately after....
DeleteWell, it worked that time. So - THANK YOU, Harriett, for such patience!
DeleteThe simplest way to read a newfound blog, perhaps, is to go to the "cloud" of words on the sidebar. There will be words like "monastery," "grille," "prayer," etc. If you click on one of those, it will open a page with every previous post I've tagged as being about that. I think there is one with the phrase "cloistered heart." That would get you started with the basic idea.
I'm afraid to write more lest I LOSE it all again :)! Hopefully this will get you started. Please come back here and let us know how you've fared through it! Because blogs read "backwards," I frankly find them confusing!
I don't feel so stupid now.
DeleteI am interested in the concept of being cloistered. I came back to the Church after the death of my husband 2 1/2 years ago. During his illness a lot of people were praying for us. After his death a "voice" told me to go the Cathedral here in St Louis and pray. I felt I was being led to the Blessed Sacrament chapel (I had never been in that part of the church before) and after that I came back to the faith. I am still trying to figure out God's plan. I really would like to know about being cloistered and would appreciate hearing from you.
Harriett, I would love to chat with you more! I don't have personal access to commenters' e-mail addresses, but my own is on the sidebar of the cloistered heart blog. It is written as it is to prevent spambot dialing and all that kind of thing. Just substitute @ for the word at, and . for the word dot. that should get you right through to my own e-mail, and I'd LOVE to hear from you!
DeleteGod bless! Nancy
Nancy, Perfect for today. I am about to close the computer and fly for a moment. The lady in the painting looks so serene. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteShe does look serene, doesn't she? Thank you, Sue!
Deleteyour painting brings tears to my eyes as my shoulders relax and I sink into the the colours and peace that the picture evokes
ReplyDeleteMelanie, I am continually struck by the wealth of great art that is now in public domain because of age. The picture "says" so much to me. Thank you!
DeleteA friend in Carmel sent me your blog, and in just scrolling through the contents, I feel as though I have been bathed in peace! Thank you!!!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I'm so glad you're here!
DeleteNancy,
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to your upcoming posts!
Don't you ever sleep? Up past mid-night? It was after 1 am when you published your latest post!
The painting, by Nannette Bleuler, Rheinfall... made me think of Elizabeth Goudge's book "Green Dolphin Street". Have you read it? In the story there is a convent perched up on a cliff overlooking the sea.
God bless!
Sleep? Yeah, I tried that once... :)
DeleteActually, I'm a nite owl born and bred.
Green Dolphin St. sounds like MY KIND OF BOOK!!!! Is it actually about, or taking place in, the convent? I've heard of the author and think I read a book of hers years ago, but don't know this title.
Thank you, Sue. I am LOVING your alphabetical posts and look forward to them every day!
Nancy,
DeleteElizabeth Goudge was an Anglican clergyman's daughter. She weaves her faith in and out of her stories. I at first thought she was a Catholic as her beliefs are indistinguishable from ours. (High Anglican?) One of her main characters in Green Dolphin Street enters the convent. It's a big part of the book but not the whole setting. The book is excellent with various characters struggling with the idea that they must do what is right, rather than what they desire, which isn't always easy. Not a very good summary of the book but I'm hopeless at reviews. At least I haven't given the plot away! You might have to look for a secondhand copy as I think all of Goudge's books are out of print. Our library has some though.
Have you read Rumer Goddens' book, In This House of Brede? That's set in a Benedictine Abbey. Very good! We were talking about this on Patricia's blog some months ago, so you probably have heard of it.
The main thought that's with me from your post today... the idea of being safe within the cloister. When Felicity entered the convent I remember friends saying, "She's going somewhere safe." I am looking forward to hearing more about how the cloistered heart is a safe place.
Thank you for reading my ABC posts! I really do appreciate your comments. It really is good of you to keep coming back for the next story!
I am off and running to try to find the Green Dolphin Street book! Sounds wonderful.
DeleteI read In this House of Brede for the first time when I was in University. It had a profound effect on me. Still does (last time I read it was maybe 10 years ago, but I consider that in the range of "still").
Oh, it is totally selfish of me to keep coming back for your next ABC stories... I look forward to them DAILY!
I read In This House of Brede when I was in high school and I loved it. My copy has vanished over the years, must try to find a new copy.
DeleteHarriett, now you're making me want to read "Brede" again also, and I do have a copy around here somewhere. Hope you can find one!
DeleteAmazon is a great thing. Ordered a copy of your book as well.
DeleteNancy,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you are re-visiting the back to basics of the cloistered heart. I definitely need a refresher. I have read your book and have many areas highlighted, but it is nice to do this with you leading us here as well. Looking forward to your next few posts on this.
Thanks and God bless.
Thank you, Karinann. I'd appreciate some prayer support that this go along as God intends.... thank you!
DeleteAs a "newbie" to this site, I think it will be helpful to me. Thanks Nancy!
DeleteThank you, Harriett!
DeleteThanks, Colleen... and I really do count on prayer!
DeleteThank you for going back to explain, Nancy. Your analogies are so inspiring - I can't wait to learn more:-)
ReplyDeleteGod bless:-)
Vicky, thank you so much.
DeleteI am loving this Nancy, Thank you for rewinding and allowing me to read from the beginning...and like Vicky, I can't wait to see what's next.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and +
Thank you, Caroline. I'm anxious to see what's next too... I only have little 'glimmers" :)!
DeleteAnd with this, I think it's time to open a new post here in the Parlor....