There are tiny signs of spring outside as I write this... a bird song, a brave yellow daffodil poking its head through frozen soil.
And we have things to talk about here. So let's do....
As always, you may return to the Cloistered Heart blog by clicking on this line.
Nancy, the video of Pope Francis presenting Our Lady with flowers is so beautiful! I watched it several times over - thank you!
ReplyDeleteAnd, yes, I can relate to the Wall of Distractions. I keep getting a glimpse of the beautiful sight on the other side of the door but it's as if I'm holding back so that I can hold onto me for a bit longer. I know it's wrong thinking - wanting to hold onto the me that's keeping me from discovering the heavenly me:-/
Vicky, if I could just hang onto your last words here, I think I might just make it! What a thought.... an undistracted, undivided, not lazy (okay, I just admitted that one), non-complaining, PRAYERFUL me. Coming close to the all Holy God. Thank you for such inspiring thoughts
DeleteNancy,
ReplyDeleteThat image of going through the door where our Father is waiting... I want to hang onto that! Keep it in the forefront of my mind as a focus. How I need to focus!
Examining what we are distracted by... I can't remember the words you quoted. I'll lose my comment if I return to look! Next time my thoughts roam, I shall take note!
I hope you're dancing, Nancy. I'm sure you are. You could bring back your dancing animation to welcome Pope Francis! How blessed we are!
Sue, I have to smile (and apologize?!) for the looooong trip over to AN ENTIRELY SEPARATE BLOG to comment... I'd never thought about how that keeps us from being able to see the original posts! A separate blog, captchas that make us all SURE we're robots, AND moderation... Thank you (all of you!) for jumping through all of these hoops!
DeleteMy thoughts are always roaming. It's worse as I get older. O my.....
Thank you, Sue.
Oh this was a great post. Distractions. I loved your example! I finally was able to get up before the crew here, and do Morning Prayer, and then time for silent prayer. But was it silent, in my head or heart? That's a big fat no. I either fall asleep, or start thinking of very similar things you mentioned! Then, when I desire to recollect myself, I am completely unable! There is no "resting place" so to speak in prayer. I literally count down the time to when the time I've said I'm going to give silence to the Lord is over. I feel like one of my kids, scatter brained, unable to give pause to a single thought. Do you have any recommendations for NOT running to the "door" so to speak? I find this is where I try to find my relief since I can't handle all the distractions (which I should keep trying, right?)
ReplyDeleteJen, I know what it is to count down the minutes, and I am comforted when I think (and I THINK this is true) that it's not the Lord Himself I am avoiding, but it is the constant bombardment of distractions that I want to escape. At least, I think it is!!!
DeleteIt's like once my mind makes any attempt to 'quiet,' then every stray thought that's been lingering around snaps up that golden opportunity to hop right on in and demand its share of attention. For me, I do think that's a lot of what is going on, and you know..... I hadn't even thought of that (in exactly this way) until right now! So thank you... I don't know if this is making any sense to you or anyone else, but suddenly after a lotta years.... it's like I have a diagnosis!
Ah, but what to do about it? For me, I try to use what 'I can do' and build on that. I try to find aids to keep me focused, and these change periodically. I'm helped by writing a spontaneous prayer sometimes, and I find I am often helped by music. If no one else is within hearing distance, I stay focused better if I begin to sing... often I will start with a worship song of some sort, and then I might begin making up my own words (this is all fine if no one else is around.. no one wants to hear MY voice, trust me :).) But one thing I do know for sure: the Lord is pleased when we make the effort. We can't help how we 'feel,' we can't control a lot of the busy-busy-busy things that crowd into our minds, but we can choose to at least say something like 'Lord, here I am.' I try to remind myself over and over that this is pleasing to Him.
Thank you, Jen, and I pray our Lord will help both (all) of us with a special grace to be able to focus on Him. Maybe as a special Easter gift...?
Running from the Lord? Yes, I do that! Either, like Eve, trying to hide so that I don't have to see to those ugly little blemishes or because the glimpse of light is so bright that my little soul can't bear it. Again, I'm not sure if that makes sense but your conversations are sure helping me to see my way through the sludge, Nancy!
ReplyDeleteAnd you are helping me, Vicky. You should see how distracted I am today.. it's a pitiful sight, and I'm not exaggerating. And running? O my, yes. I would love for a huge monastic bell to just DONG in my ears and DEMAND that I go swiftly to the chapel and take up my spot in my prayer stall because IT IS TIME and that's the way things are DONE AROUND HERE. I am a hugely UN self disciplined person. Always have been. And now - hmmm - this might become a blog post... so perhaps it's time for me to PRAY and then see if it does indeed become that. Stay tuned!
DeleteYou discovered the same thing I have these last 10 or so years. music and art open up the intuitive, perceptive part of our brain, shutting out the logical, analzing, worrying part. So you naturally slip deep into your Spirit. A gentle, relaxed communion with the Comforter who dwells within is as easy as breathing when you are one the same wavelentgh as God
ReplyDeleteI discovered in spiritual direction, some years ago, that music really quiets me down as I head into prayer. Art too - which is why I have a 'prayer room' filled with inspiring things. But I forget to make use of them!! ('see Nancy slap her forehead and cry 'DUH!'') I'm sure this is why our churches have (or used to have, anyway) inspiring paintings and statues and stained glass windows.
DeleteThank you..
Nancy, thank you for your post about "Sometimes we need a little help." I felt like I was reading about myself. What a great insight...that it's not our Blessed Lord we are avoiding, but rather the agony of trying to pray when our hearts are so dry and we are so distracted. I have become battle weary from that. Great idea about the music and YouTube, etc. I have confused myself along the way by thinking that if I did things like that, it wasn't the same as "really" praying... Yet, like you, when I do those things, I end up enjoying being with Jesus, and often have long conversations with Him. Thanks for reminding me that God gave us senses to use when needed! :)
ReplyDeletePS Please write a post for disorganized people, because I'm definitely in need of some help there. Maybe we could start a support group! It impacts my prayer life in a negative way, because I'm always falling behind in everything, mismanaging time, etc. I honestly think it's a genetic defect! :) xoxo
Patricia, if I wrote a post for disorganized people, it would have to be one showing 'how TO BE disorganized.' My brain absolutely thinks in parentheses, and my whole life and scheduling just seem to follow right along. I could have written your last sentences, exactly. Falling behind in everything, YES... mismanaging time, HUGE YES. I, too, have wondered if it's genetic! I certainly seem to have been born this way!
DeleteThings that grab the attention of my senses and lasso them for Godly thoughts are just the ticket for me, yet I forget that as I struggle ahead in an effort to "tough it out. Today it occurs to me to ask: whyever do I think that way?!?! A thought worth pondering...
Thank you!
I love that your brain thinks in parentheses! I completely 'get' that. I feel a bit silly sometimes when I have to coach myself to slow down and focus on one small task at a time. Seems so elementary but such a challenge! One thing that helps me is mental prayer all day long ~ amazing what a few simple words can do in pulling me back and re-centering me!
DeleteSuch beautiful posts you've been putting up for us, Nancy. I especially love the Scripture from the Psalms 18, reminding us that with the Lord we can scale any wall!
ReplyDeleteSo timely for me right now.
Thank you and Blessings
The scripture from Psalm 18 was in the Liturgy of the Hours yesterday, the day after I'd put on the post about finding help in prayer. What timing!
DeleteThanks very much, Caroline!
It always warms my heart to see that my brothers and sisters in Christ are facing some of the same challenges that I am. Strength in numbers and all. :) And it always confirms to me that we are brought together here for a purpose and a reason, by a power far greater than ourselves. Thank you. Have a blessed weekend!
ReplyDeleteI am always struck by the fact that even the Bible itself reveals the weaknesses and challenges of great saints... Peter, Mary Magdalene, Paul... etc etc etc... God obviously wanted to give us examples of how He can pick us up and get us on our feet again!
Deletegreat needy post- we all need ropes, nets and some of us even need a stretcher with pullies,winches and a Spirit powered engine to entice us to move towards Him
ReplyDeleteIs there a queue for the stretcher? I'm taking my place in line :)...
DeleteNancy,
ReplyDeleteSo many ropes and we only see one or two! I loved how you used your laptop to find some music. I am finding it so hard to concentrate when reading a spiritual book. Instead I've been listening to spiritual talks on my iPod while ironing Andy's shirts (that's real penance!)I've been finding doing that is taking me closer to God. I can't skim over words when listening, and if the speaker is very animated, his enthusiasm is contagious! Talk about passing on the fire! Also when I'm running outside through the bush, I can't help but thank God for my healthy body and the beautiful environment. Spontaneous prayer!
I am off to think creatively about this problem of distractions. There is a way!
Thank you for these beautiful and helpful posts.
God bless!
PS 7 exclamation marks. I'm trying to cut down! Make that 8.
Sue, your speaking of listening to talks, rather than reading, brings a new thought to my mind. Which is that God sends "down" the right ropes for us for just the right times and parts of the "climb." Sounds as if you're ALREADY thinking creatively about the problem of distraction, and are grabbing some "for right now" ropes!
DeletePS back: Me too! I'm trying to cut down on exclamation marks!! Aren't I doing such! a! good! job?!!
Thank You, Sue. !!!!!
A light just went on. Nancy, thank you! Since my last Confession, I've been lamenting my inability to overcome a niggling habit that has been on the 'laundry list' I bring into the confessional with me... for years. It's embarrassing, and frustrating. I actually had a fit on myself a few days ago - you know the kind, muttering chastisingly to yourself with gritted teeth emphasis - and didn't realize until I read your post on ropes: I can ask God for help till I'm blue in the face, but until I accept His help... I'm helpless. I keep the same routines and patterns and expect that I'll be able to change that bad habit? Instead, I should open my hands to take the rope God is offering.
ReplyDeleteThank you, wise lady.
And a light went on for ME as I read your words. I have to actually grab the ropes. And in order to do that, sometimes I have to let go of something else I might be holding onto so the "hand" will be free to grab. Hmm. If I ever actually went mountain climbing, I'd be insisting on carrying along my 20 pound purse. I think it's a SPIRITUAL pattern for me. Hmmmm.
DeleteThank you so very much, Tess.
powerful quote
ReplyDelete'And He also took upon Himself MY cause.
'Now He is drawing me to Himself by seeking me out in the depths of myself and bringing me back to Himself.'
This reminds me of my son
When one of my son's was 5, he asked
"What Jesus do with ghosts".
I laughed and answered,
"I don't have a clue!"
David responded,
"I do. He draws them into Himself and fills them with His love".
He said that at FIVE?!?!? FIVE!?!? The same age as my grandson, who impresses me when he doesn't clobber his sisters with toy dinosaurs...?
DeleteThank you!
Thank you so much, Colleen... and may you have a blessed Holy Week as well!
ReplyDeleteNancy, I just want you to know that I am reading and meditating on your posts through many tears.
ReplyDeleteThank you for bringing me closer to the Heart of our Blessed Lord.
Thank you for the wonderful quotes and images you share on your blogs.
They are Heaven-inspired!
Today's words from Teresa of Avila have touched me very deeply.
love in Jesus..Trish
Trish, thank you more than I could possibly express.
DeleteYour post on sin - the picture of the angels with Jesus, and the quote from Teresa of Avila - is very sobering. A good reminder for those moments when I think my little sin doesn't really matter.
ReplyDeleteThank you for saying this, Tess. The quote has been sobering for me too.
DeleteNancy,
ReplyDeleteI haven't anything worth saying. I just feel drained today, Good Friday. I will just thank you for all the helpful posts and slip quietly away.
God bless you!
Sue, I hope you'll be feeling more chipper by the time you read this. As my friends in W A say, I hope you're fighting fit and full of beans (that IS a GOOD thing, RIGHT???!?!.. The first time they said it I thought someone was mad and had a tummy ache!!!) (..so much for the American imagination!).
DeleteA 'God bless you' is THE most worth saying thing I can imagine being said! So thank you for saying it, Sue. Have a blessed Easter, and GOD BLESS YOU TOO.