Friday, September 13, 2013

This New Chapter



Welcome!  This is an update of the original "post" here, but I want to let you know that "captchas" (those odd numbers and letters we have to decipher to prove we're not robots) are back.  Some apparently real comments were being lost amidst a flurry of automatic things that were hidden from my view.  The non captcha days didn't last long here, did they?!  I hope your glasses are all up to date! 

  As always, you can return to the Cloistered Heart blog by clicking on this line. 

78 comments:

  1. Yes..I'm here, Nancy. And I'm dreaming of "beginnings" too.
    love..Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're here, Trish. And I hope you don't mind if I invite other Parlor visitors to click on your name to visit The Compassionate Heart. It's obviously right up our hearts' alley :)! Thanks be to God for all He is doing!

      Delete
    2. Your post on donning new habits gives me hope. I realize too that I have learned to perform tasks at work over the past 3 years that I had never even heard of in 2009 - I even teach others to do them! I too am blogging now - had to teach myself how to do that! I am leading the Litany of the Most Sacred Heart on First Fridays at my parish - with a microphone. ME! These things were unthinkable 3 years ago, yet here I am....

      So, when God asks me to "learn new tricks" of a spiritual nature, why do I squeal and run? With Him all things are possible, right? If I can grow and change in a purely human context, how much more does He desire to do with me in a spiritual context?

      I'm going to have to think about that!

      Great post! Thank you!!

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much, Renee. I'm now trying more to consciously cooperate with His formation of new spiritual habits in me. Boy, am I a tough case!

      Delete
  2. Me to Nancy. I recall the scene in the movie, 'The Passion of the Christ', when Jesus says to His Mother, 'Behold
    Mother, I make all things 'New'! Love, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb, this is striking for me just now. Thank you so much for sharing it! Love, Nancy

      Delete
  3. Nancy, I will dream with you... I'd love my heart to be a refuge for God. A priest I used to know would often say: Make your heart a Bethany for Jesus..as Our Lord loved to visit there so often. It must have been a refuge for Him. I love Barb's remark as well. That was a beautiful scene in that extraordinary movie. Lastly, love that you took away the captcha. I mess them up all the time, esp. if I dare try without my glasses :) God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I've been fairly convinced I was a robot many times. Since this is a separate blog unto itself, not an actual part of the CH blog, I thought "why not give it a go?" Part of dreaming big, huh?!?! (smile).

      I'm so glad you're along for the dream! May we discern and follow the dreams of God alone. I know you pray this with me. He is good!!!!

      Delete
  4. It gives me great hope to think of this! Thanks, Colleen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy,

    Colleen has written my comment for me! I was going to say exactly what she said. We are like-minded which is lovely.

    I wrote a comment here yesterday about dreams but lost it. I had the most beautiful dream the other night. I could feel the happiness of the saints and felt God had revealed a secret to me. Then when I woke up I couldn't remember much at all!

    Thank you for removing the captchas. I've been thinking I am turning into a robot. It has been taking me multiple attempts to get the numbers and letters right. On second thoughts, perhaps I'm just getting very short sighted!

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it frustrating to lose remembrance of those wonderful dreams we can sometimes have? What a blessing to feel the happiness of the saints!!

      God bless you, too, Sue - and thanks!

      Delete
  6. all I can say is THANK GOD habits can change!! I am in the same boat as you. 18 months ago I had never touched a computer except to find free books and check email

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy -I'm guilty of skimping and cutting corners too!
    I thought I had my habit "sort of" all worked out, but Jesus wants alterations. My pattern was too tightly contoured to my own form. I thought it fitted well because it was comfortable and I presumed it looked pretty good on me too. But not so! I've got some seam-ripping to do now..and an awful lot of stretching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love what you said, Trish, about your pattern being too tightly coordinated to your own form. O yes - mine too! Wonderful analogies.

      Delete
  8. Nancy,

    That was my problem as a seamstress exactly!! Also, my mom, who is a great seamstress, use to correct me constantly about it...and that I wanted the garment to fit right just as I had sewn it. I had no patience for 'alterations.' They were her specialty.I just wanted it to fit---period. I didn't want to have to take out seams and redo everything.
    What a great analogy to the spiritual life and our call to sainthood in your post.
    You give me much food for thought here!

    Blessings +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline, I don't know that I ever made an alteration in my life. Rip out something and start over?! Oh heavens - that was so much WORK! Hmmm. Definitely something to look at in the light of spiritual analogy here ......

      Delete
  9. Nancy...

    Just picked up *Listening to the Indwelling Presence* yesterday...what a treasure that is! I mean I can only read a bit then have to put it down to meditate on!!

    Anyway, do they have any idea who *A Religious* is from? What Order?

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, I have no idea who "A Religious" is/was, and can't think of a way to find out (other than Google, which turned up nothing for me). I'd at least love to know what Order! If anyone knows or can find out anything, I'd love it if they would share it with us!!

      Delete
    2. I am thinking Carmelite...but I am biased LOL!

      The book is utterly amazing...I mean I could carry this around and read something from it everyday for the rest of my life...the poetry and everything...ahhh! It's always a mystery to me that these books don't get reprinted again at some point.

      Anyway, thank for introducing all of us : )

      Delete
    3. I've been thinking Carmelite also. I love the references to "Saint Little Therese." !

      Thanks to Elly in Australia for sending the first one to me.... and to Connie W. who has been loaning them to me a few at a time (she can't find them anymore at the place where she got these).

      Connie W. - do you see what a grace you are sharing with ALL of us?! Connie W. has sort of a gift of "spiritual sleuthing"... if anyone can track down anything, she might just be the one. (I'm just saying :).....)

      Delete
    4. My husband and I were just researching ways to get an OOP book back on the shelves. It's not that easy...and they would need the original to take apart *gasp* and scan to make a new book. Used goes for about $70...not in my budget .

      These books NEED to be available to the world today. But...I am grateful for the tidbits I can grab here and there...

      Done ranting for now : )

      Delete
  10. such great images, of course I have downloaded them all..my eyes soak in great art and it literally feeds my soul. Did you see the stained glass window photo on ACWB that I stumbled upon on Catholic Spirituality Blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my Nancy so many wonderful insights and images to think about and ponder! Changing ones habits, stretching and altering my own way of doing things, responding to things said, and so forth. I love Trish's inspired thoughts. Much to meditate on here and as always this posting was a confirmation to something I watched yesterday on a spiritual site about comtemplation and allowing God to change and form us till He sees the image of His Son in us! I've been feeling the tug of needing to change different habits and to take more time to Listen to that still small voice.......I've just started reading/meditating on a book I just got called, 'In Love with the Divine Outcast' by a Religious. I understand how Theresa feels about taking it a little at a time so you can digest it in small bits : ) I was thinking the same thing? I wonder what order this Religious belonged too? I hope we can find out....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't he or she delightful? what I treasure trove of pearls of wisdom

      Delete
    2. BARB, this screen is not letting me reply to your specific comment, but isn't it amazing how we're all resonating with the writings of A Religious? My friend Elly surely was hearing the Holy Spirit when she felt "The Living Pix of Jesus" was "so cloistered heart."

      And the timing! Elly and her husband were visiting on the OTHER side of Australia from where they live, and "happened" to be there exactly when some people were throwing old, "outdated" books into the trash. It as like our Lord sent Elly on a rescue mission. Everyone I shared any of it with (this was nearly 20 years ago) loved it, and then Connie W. went online to track down information, and came up with other books....

      Thanks be to GOD. He is so obviously letting these treasures be found.

      Delete
  12. Nancy, I've had a few"days like this", too..But you ended the post much like King David in the Psalms..He begins with a heavy heart and ends in faith..By decision..
    Beautiful and encouraging post. +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caroline. Writing a blog post was among the activities I considered LEAST appealing yesterday. But mindless rambling onto the keyboard led me into prayer.

      For the first time ever, I am wondering how David's psalms evolved.. did he start out knowing where he was going, or was he often doing what I (and maybe a lot of us...?) do - sorting things out as he prayed and wrote???

      Delete
    2. I have always wondered about the myself, Nancy. My guess would be he worked out the struggle with his humanity much like we do .. sorting it all out through his gift of music and writing. +

      Delete
  13. This was encouraging, Nancy. At times, I've found that the challenges have felt too much but I haven't actually wanted God to take the weakness away because I feel Him drawing me closer to Him through it.

    I hope that today is an easier day for you, dear Nancy.
    God bless xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Vicky! Yes, it was an easier day, which was good as we were celebrating a family member's birthday!

    I, too, have experienced God drawing me closer to Him during weakness. Oh, what a gift that is! So much so, that I would not want the weakness taken away. My weakness 2 days ago was as much a spiritual one as anything. I was mainly "blah." But those "pieces of grillwork" surely helped!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Nancy! I've been reading your blog now for a few months after a recommendation from the Visitation sisters in Tyringham. Your post today on weakness has me reflecting on my own spiritual weakness. I discerned religious life for 5 years until a recent disability made that no longer an option much to my disappointment. Ever since I've have found myself so weak in my spiritual life! I can go pretty strong for a couple months but then fall into sinful patterns and fall off the wagon! Do you ever grow weary of your sinful nature and this inability to win? What advice can you give me? I want to give my whole self to my Beloved Jesus and I just can't seem to connect anymore like I used to when I looked forward to him being my Spouse. Thank you! By the way, love the Prie Dieu <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michelle! Oh YES, I get tired of my sinful nature and inability to win. YES YES YES YES YES. "Weary" is the exact word for what I was feeling when I wrote this post about my weakness. I was so weary of my own laziness and distraction. I was feeling dreadful about not being disciplined in prayer. Wondering if I even wanted God - and yet I know I DO, with all my heart. But the struggles can be so wearing. And while mine is likely to be different from your own, I also know what it is to deal with a disability.

      I personally need like-minded others out here in the world .... do you find that to be the case? I would love to "talk" about this more by e-mail, if you should ever care to do that. My address is on the blog sidebar, but I will also put it here (keeping it in hopefully spambot-thwarting structure, but I'm sure you know the (at) means the at symbol, etc). That's thecloisteredheart(at) g mail (dot) com. If perchance I should seem to disappear at any time, however... we've been having Internet connection problems here recently, in and out.

      Thanks for the comment on the Prie Dieu! I put it together for myself, initially, and now like sharing it.... because just knowing that maybe someone else might be going there and uttering a prayer gives me a sense of praying with others. My intention is to use parts of it throughout the day, to help bring some discipline to my prayer life. I have yet to manage an ENTIRE day of doing so, but generally I pray with some part(s) of it. As you can tell, I need all the help I can get!

      Thank you, Michelle. I am SO glad you're here! :)



      Delete
    2. Nancy,

      Do you think St Therese would tell us to make the most of our sinful nature? Instead of us feeling weary and disappointed with ourselves we could be grateful we are so weak. How can Jesus refuse to help us? We need Him so much and can do nothing without Him. Like a child jumping into his mother's arms. Just musing here. Patricia would know better than me about St Therese!!

      Delete
  16. BIG ANNOUNCEMENT! CALLING ALL READERS AND FANS OF THE WRITER KNOWN AS 'A RELIGIOUS!'

    Connie W. has just sent information on a website where we can get reprints of the book IN LOVE WITH THE DIVINE OUTCAST. I think Barb had sent me this link earlier, but in my lack of organization (which is rather severe at times, and I apologize) I had lost that and didn't remember what book was what.

    But now the info is here, and we can order this for our very own selves :) for under $30. They do charge for shipping - I think that's just under 7 dollars. The website has a description of this volume, and the page count is exactly the same as the original... which I presently have here on loan from Connie W.

    When I got to the main page, I just typed outcast into the search bar and it brought it right up. I obviously ordered a copy immediately. (food? who needs food?! this is MY kind of food...)

    Now for the site address, which is http://www.traditionalcatholicpublishing.com/

    Have fun!











    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND - here is a link from another source. THANK YOU, BARB! That is

      http://www.allthesaintsbooks.com/in-love-with-the-divine-outcast.html



      Delete
    2. Nancy...just an update. I also went on the All the Saints bookstore. I have to hold off for now purchasing a book but I emailed them to ask if they had intentions of printing any other titles by a Religious.

      They said yes and asked me for all the titles. I told them I was especially looking for *Listening to the Indwelling Presence*. They said they would get back to me as to what was in the works. In the meantime, I put them in the sidebar of my blog. What a blessing! Will keep you posted.

      Delete
    3. O wow! What exciting news!!!!!! THANK YOU for sharing it with us!

      I feel we are finding a treasure chest :).

      Delete
    4. We are!

      Also, Mother of Our Savior is in the process of reprinting them too and hopefully will be in their October catalog : )

      http://www.traditionalcatholicpublishing.com/home.php

      Delete
  17. Thank you for sharing this booklet, Nancy. There's nothing better than finding a treasure from a religious that comes to help you up the next wrung on the spiritual ladder..So weary sometimes I can't even take that small of a step! Blessings +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I just said to Theresa, I feel we ARE finding treasure! And oh, I understand the weariness.

      Delete
  18. Nancy,

    Thank you for directing me here to read more about the book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just read your post "on a day like today" and can so relate! Thank you for the reminder to give thanks, and pray it through. I needed the nudge.

    Lovely blog!
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. BOOK REPORT!

    I just received my own copy (reprint) of IN LOVE WITH THE DIVINE OUTCAST by A Religious. I am VERY satisfied with it.

    I ordered the book (standard shipping) 2 days ago, and here it is already. It's a regular paperback, larger than the (rather compact) hardback original. The printing is larger (nice for my "vintage" eyes). 586 pages. Except for the pages being larger, it looks like a photographic duplicate of the original.

    I am delighted. And wanted to let anyone checking in here know!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Armoured pyjamas? Nancy, I know I'm never going to forget those words! Each time I see my pyjamas I'm going to think about your post. Thank you!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I remember when I see mine too, so I will not forget to pray before tumbling into bed!! Thanks, Sue!

      Delete
  22. Nancy, you poor thing - I am praying for your healing and hope you feel much better soon!
    Yes...let Jesus soothe and pamper you. What could be sweeter?
    love and prayers..Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trish - I've just known someone was praying, because all of a sudden I took a turn for the better! Still sore, but it's not as acute, thanks be to God. And yes, His soothing has been very sweet :).

      Delete
  23. I just read your post on the Stations of the Cross and your experience was a pure gift from God! What an affirmation of your struggles. I'm going through a rough time right now...I wish I had your courage to engage in prayer and seek solace. Why am I afraid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it WAS pure gift from God, and I thank Him. I am in prayer for you, for the gift(s) He knows you need at this time. If you don't mind my saying this, I think "why am I afraid?" could be a good prayer for you just now. It is an honest cry of your heart. Again, you're in my prayer.

      Delete
  24. I often go to "Under Her Starry Mantle," where an Australian mother has put together beautiful pictures(for her children and us) for the rosary. The stations of the cross can be easily done under the sorrowful mysteries. She has searched far & wide to obtain some unusual and rarely seen pix. Happy praying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful sounding book!! Think I'll check online for it. Like: right now! Than you so much.

      Delete
  25. Yes, nothing like physical pain to illuminate our spiritual struggle to turn with compassion toward Jesus carrying His Cross for our salvation. The painting is wonderful. Thank you . Praying for healing and thankful for your insights while suffering. God Bless...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh how much I needed this today, Nancy .. I got to it late, but as you know..The Lord is always on time. I
    'This is the struggle of our life: to let Christ rule"
    Indeed it is.
    Thank you for this.
    Prayers and Blessings +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, both of you. As you can see from the comment below, we have (okay: THEY have!!) been working on getting this screen to be functional, so I haven't responded while I let that go on. I think I'll be putting captchas back on, just to help keep the real comments from getting "set aside" along with robotic things. Thanks, all, for understanding!

      Delete
  27. I have been trying to add a comment to the parlor to share a blessing and I have been having trouble trying to figure this out .i am blessed and challenged by the HOLY SPIRIT by your blog I thank GOD OUR FWTHER for your obedience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kevin, and I am thankful for your comment(s) and your perseverance! Had to take this one to the rest of the family, as I couldn't figure out (and still don't understand) why I was suddenly seeing comments to be moderated, but then they weren't showing up here. It turns out that I was also getting some spam and yours got tangled in with that.

      So if that should happen again - ANYONE!!! - please know we're working on it around here. It is good to have a computer-savvy family! We do hope the captchas don't have to be re-activated, but it's possible - so I want all of you to know that. Those might show up pretty soon again, and we'll all have to get the glasses back out. :)

      Thank you so much, again!

      Delete
  28. The heartboat image is beautiful!. I will keep this picture of Jesus steadying my heartboat and keeping me safe. It seems that every point of deep peace that my soul reaches in contemplation is soon followed by a huge, tumutuous storm as if to knock Jesus' love out of my being. Am I imagining things? I think not. It makes me think of Teresa of Avila adn what she writes about prayer and contemplation. Thank you so much for everything you write. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're imagining things, then I am too! I could have written your sentence exactly; the huge storm comes and tries to knock His love right out of us. Well... we on earth are the Church Militant, after all. And so we hang on to Him. A friend once told me that she's comforted by knowing that when she lets go, even for a minute, Jesus He still holds on to her. I love that.

      Thank you so much, and thanks be to God!

      Delete
    2. Loved your post "Ten Times"! (not just because you mentioned me lol) You are not alone in the distractions...I could empathize with everything you struggle with and I remember coming across that scripture and being hit with a ton of bricks! I love it...I will be putting that in our community newsletter.

      When I finally get a reprint of that book...it will surely be one I carry around to help carry mr through the day.

      Delete
  29. St. Bruno, St. John Vianney, both wanted to flee. This week I really wanted to flee to someplace beautiful and quiet. Maybe the best place is in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was feeling the same way yesterday, Barb. You certainly named the perfect spot!

      Delete
  30. Nancy...You know I've been in the fleeing mode lately :-) and oh how this speaks to me as well. This one is going in my pocket all week..Thank you for this Blessings +

    ReplyDelete
  31. Is there anyway you can add a 'Share to Facebook" link? I love so many of these posts along with their pictures that I'd like to share them with my friends on FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have someone working to find the way to do that right now... so thanks! In the meantime, if you happen to know how to install the gadget, just pop the "directions" here on the Parlor if you care to take time to do so. Thanks, and thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Amazing! With the help of God (I said a prayer), I was able to put on the share buttons. Easy as the Proverbial Pie. So thanks again for asking!

      Delete
  32. Your blog give me special grace is appropriate,my focuse is on me and all my failures and not on our BLESSED lLORD AND SAVIOR where it should be. My heart cry is "give my heart special grace".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my heart cry too, Kevin. God be praised!

      Delete
  33. beautiful images combined with a powerful quote--always wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  34. I was reading about you trying to practice the presence of God. Here are some words from St. Teresa of Avila from her Way of Perfection.

    "Imagine that this Lord Himself is at your side and see how lovingly and how humbly He is teaching you... If you become accustomed to having Him at your side, and if He sees that you love Him to be there and are always trying to please Him, you will never be able, as we put it, to send Him away, nor will He ever fail you. Those of you whose minds cannot reason for long or whose thoughts cannot dwell upon God but are constantly wandering must at all costs form this habit. I know quite well that you are capable of it - for many years I endured this trial of being unable to concentrate on one subject, and a very sore trial it is. If a whole year passes without our obtaining what we ask, let us be prepared to try for longer. I am sure we can form this habit. I am not asking you now to think of Him, or to form numerous conceptions of Him, or to make long and subtle meditations with your understanding. I am only asking you to look at Him. For who can prevent you from turning the eyes of your soul (just for a moment, if you can do no more) upon this Lord?"

    I started this practice a couple of years ago after reading 'Practicing the Presence of God' but there were a lot of upheavals in my life and I lost it. I'd say I was only able to really make an effort for about three months and I was never great at it but I've always wanted to start it again since it was the happiest time of my life. I hope you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca, thank you SO much for sharing all of this!!! Beautiful. Absolutely perfect. I pray that we both... that we ALL .... can do this. I especially like "I am only asking you to look at Him." Again: perfect.

      Delete
  35. Thanks so much. Ah, for a memory that would hold all of these things :)!

    ReplyDelete