Sunday, December 16, 2012

Our Christmas Oasis

The Christmas tree is now decorated in our Parlor.  The tree in this photo looks very like the one in my own home, because it's... well.....  the one in my own  home.  

I pray for a peaceful, prayerful Christmas season for all!  

As always, please leave comments here about anything from the Cloistered Heart blog.  If you'd like to share how you find peace and a sense of "oasis" during this busy time of year, we would love to hear from you.

You may return to the Cloistered Heart blog by clicking on this line.  

God bless us every one!

28 comments:

  1. From Barb Schoeneberger December 16, 2012 4:42 PM

    If I don't make my prayer time first thing in the day the whole day seems to be empty no matter how busy I am. It's way too easy to disconnect from God for days on end and if I do that I feel disjointed and unfocused. Your post is a good reminder to keep my prayer schedule active, especially over the holidays when family wants to claim my energy. Jesus first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb, your comment went to the screen before this one, so I am re-posting it here for all of us to see. Thank you so much for what you wrote. YES, it is easy to disconnect from God, and keeping our prayer lives active is so critical. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy,

    "Spiritual oasis"... Only yesterday I was explaining what an oasis is to my younger girls. (They love the sound of that word!) I am looking forward to returning to your blog over the next few days to drink at that oasis, in between dealing with the last few busy days of preparation for Christmas.

    "hush of holy anticipation"... Just saying those words sends a quiver through my soul! We are thinking about going to Midnight Mass for the first time in many years. In the darkness and stillness of the night, away from the everyday, I am sure we shall feel that anticipation as we kneel before the crib waiting...

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you were just explaining an oasis to your girls! I PRAY to find "oasis thoughts" to help nourish us all. Thank you... and it's so good to have you here!

      Delete
  4. You have a beautiful tree Nancy. After this horrendous and unspeakable week of terror in Newtown, Conn., we need to increase our prayers for peace this Christmas season. Peace and healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Noreen. I think everyone has been terribly shaken by the tragedy in Connecticut, and we're holding children and grandchildren a little tighter these days. I know we join our prayers together for the healing and peace that Jesus alone can bring at a time like this. God bless.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Nancy ... I loved your flash mob post, it had me all choked up this morning--in a happy way that I needed! I really like your new format ( I say new, but It's obviously more new to me than you!) I'm glad to have a few minutes now to be catching up with my online friends.

    Merry Christmas!
    Holly@ALife-SizeCatholicBlog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOLLY! I am delighted to see you here! I'm glad you have some "catch up" time just now, and I thank you so much for catching up with me. Thanks for the comment; the flash mob video had me choked up also (especially toward the end), but now I can ALMOST view it dry-eyed. After seeing it about 20 times :)...

      Merry Christmas to you and yours!

      Delete
  6. I too love the sound of the word oasis- words are powerful. especially a spoken word-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that words are powerful. They can soothe, elate; they can stab and deeply wound. And as I write this, I'm reminded of THE Word Who came to HEAL us all. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was in God's presence, and the Word was God.." (John 1:1)

      Delete
  7. I love your wonderful picture of the Blessed Mother! It's a great reminder of what we're waiting for

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was struck by that picture also, and am glad to be able to share it Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Nancy! I thought I'd drop by and visit you after you came to see my blog and left a kind comment. Thank you for what you share - an oasis for me is the chance to read others' reflections online and feel we're praying together. Fellowship in Christ around the world - amazing. I wish you many blessings at this holy season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for the visit, Antonia, and may you have blessings as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think those of us who have had the sadness of loosing closest Loved ones are often prematurely forced into what laterly becomes the eternal blessing of spiritual Love, until eventually our spiritual world of Loving becomes fuller as our earthly existence of Loving becomes lesser. We of course eventually become a part of that world one day too.

    God Bless Him for giving us another place for Eternity.

    Holy Christmas Nancy and all cloistered Hearts in every realm †



    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much, Magsmuse, and a holy Christmas to you also!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I move, do housework or even physically shake my hand, my see negative emotions shake off as well because the body remembers even if we think we have let go. It works for me. I think that's why cloistered orders always have manual labour as part of the monk and nun's routine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suddenly I see even more of why God has inspired cloistered orders to engage in manual labor.... wow, thanks!

      Delete
  14. Nancy,

    William Bouguereau's Song of the Angels, is one of my favourite Madonna and Child paintings! I used this image to make all my Christmas cards this year. I've also framed a couple of prints of this painting to give as gifts. Thank you for sharing the picture on your blog. When I saw it, I felt like I was seeing an old friend!

    I am enjoying your images and quotes for the last few days of Advent. Thank you for posting them

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's one of my favorites too, Sue! Thank you, and God bless you also!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Colleen. Yes indeed, the blogging community is a wonderful help! Have a blessed Christmas also!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wishing everyone a Blessed Christmas. Thank you Nancy, for leading us through the Advent season ~ a peaceful retreat during challenging times. So very much needed and appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paula! I hope you're having a blessed Christmas week!

      Delete
  18. Thanks for the award, Nancy and I have re-awarded you :)
    I love that idea of a spiritual oasis~ especially at Christmas time. I love sitting before my Nativity scene spending some time with the Holy Family in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the re-award! Now I'm going back to your blog to do some more blog visiting :).

      Delete
  19. Happy new year to you, too, Colleen!

    ReplyDelete
  20. As a mother I learned that when we listen to a child, giving him all of our attention, we are discovering how to listen to the divine voice of the Christ Child as well.

    I am not simply spouting off memorized dogma or theology. Everyone who stops for a moment, takes a few calming breaths and looks within will discover God and he will snap out of his misery. I call this process Spiritual Cognitive Therapy and I have seen it work instantly with people who are quite mentally ill.

    One other way to connect to God and emerge from the prison of self is laughter, especially laughter at ourselves. It shakes us out of self-destructive, negative thinking and emotions. My emotions seem to grip me and hold on tight when I fight to become happy and to listen to Christ but they simple vaporize when I can laugh at my self-dramatics. Laughter connects me to my true self and to the Holy Spirit. Laughter is the best medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you. I am a great fan of laughter, which has gotten me through some tough times in my life!

    ReplyDelete