Really love your post on Lectio. Since reading the book by Tim Gray, I have been faithfully reading through the Gospel of John in the evening.
I think we have to really be open to where the Spirit leads. We are not always going to have an *experience* i.e. the scriptures will not always speak to us at that specific moment...it may even be quite dry. We may find that nothing struck us but a few days later, that particular verse will come to mind. There are times when I read a verse and it does strike me, but I don't have any particular words to say so I will sit quietly in God's Presence. It will be different for each unique soul.
Theresa, I've had (on numerous occasions) the experience of "no experience" - and then found that a verse has come back to me later in the day or even days later. Which is why, I think, the idea of a "Day of Lectio" seems fitting. Scripture not just contained in prayer time, but weaving throughout the circumstances of our whole day.
From Monika, October 9: I have been richly blessed by following the monastic days here as they unfold, as well as by the awareness of the community here praying their daily lives. It's beautiful how every moment of my ordinary day can find a corresponding moment in the day as it is lived by the nuns and monks: prayer, study, chores, rest, even eating and sleeping. Monastic life seems to be simply life itself, lived more intentionally, lived symbolically. I've benefited from practicing the direction of intention. And I love the quote you've posted more than once about the germ of a monastic vocation in every Christian vocation; it confirms that what has been in my own heart is something real, something that can harmonize with my vocation to married life and motherhood.
I'm looking forward to the immersion in lectio. For various reasons (some known to me, some unknown), opening the Sacred Scriptures is a challenge for me, a weak point in my spiritual life that is becoming more visible lately. I think your thoughts (and the thoughts of others here as well) will be helpful to me as they have been on other topics. I do love the Bible and there was a time in my life when my relationship with the written word of God was strong and healthy. This gives me hope for what is to come though I also know that things will necessarily be different now than they were in the past. A renewal of active love for Sacred Scripture seems to be the resolution God is leading me to (through this blog) for the Year of Faith.
Nancy, thank you for cooperating with God to provide this sacred space!
Monika, you have expressed so well the very core of our monastic days and in fact the core of the cloistered heart. "Monastic life seems to be simply life itself, lived more intentionally, lived symbolically." ".. every moment of my ordinary day can find a corresponding moment in the day as it is lived by the nuns and monks: prayer, study, chores, rest, even eating and sleeping" "...something that can harmonize with my vocation to married life and motherhood..."
The harmonies can be hard to find, for me at least... they can get swallowed up in the day to day drumming of noises that clash. And as we know, the "world's" brash proclamations can indeed clash with the gentle, melodic harmonies of God's will. And I will stop before this becomes a whole post (it just might be part of one!).. but THANK YOU for your words.
From Magsmuse, October 10: "I did so for fear the course I was adopting or had already adopted would not be allowed. On the contrary, they recognised that I had been commissioned to preach the Good News to the uncircumcised"
I have done lectio before, usually a far smaller amount of scripture touches me and brings me to attention, sometimes a single word, so powerfully awakes the soul, where before I was sleeping to the word or inattentive. But today this whole piece protruded for me, just like the test at the opticians where slowly one of the picture raises itself beyond all others in to great focus and clarity.
I Loved today's picture over in the cloistered heart, especially as I recently stood below and breathed in the power directly below the original. Thank God for my blessing. Thank God for the Cloistered Heart †
"I did so for fear the course I was adopting or had already adopted would not be allowed. On the contrary, they recognised that I had been commissioned to preach the Good News to the uncircumcised"
Having only came to my faith in my late 30's I so feared the reaction of my very secular mother, my alternative friends, my brothers and sisters. I feared the reaction of my humanist husband, I did not fear my children's reaction but I certainly worried about how to softly and gentle introduce the older ones (who were not used to church) to something which was suddenly burning inside of me.
But after initial awkwardnesses and a few in jokes, they seem to have not only accepted my Passion but get me with far more understanding than they ever did before. My children are now deeply faithful, children are just so good at it, and the other are sharing in conversations about faith which never happened before. God is so blessing my life and those 'uncircumcised' around me :O)
A few things above are not really from "Anonymous" - I did put in your names! I was trying to copy the last couple of things from yesterday's comments, to help us lead into today's. Then I tried to put things in order, but decided I'd made ENOUGH OF A MESS ALREADY! So now, it "is what it is!"
Nancy..I really enjoyed listening to our guest speaker, Jeff Cavins...He is so very knowledgeable and explains matters so clearly..As he said, how delicious is it to receive a WORD from God? When we read the scriptures we are reading God's words to us and when we pray we send our words to God..so beautiful. I pray to become more adept at listening for His word to me through His scriptures..Lectio Divina. PS..I like the new Parlor.. so peaceful and relaxing. God Bless
Wonderful first post to start us off on Lectio today. I'm struck by several things, the first being the scripture readings you suggested this morning. The very same from Philippians that I have been led to read, reread and contemplate over the last few days! My heart swells when that type of *experience* occurs! The words lept from the page today as they have the last few. Why does this surprise me, though? Isn't that what the Lord promises us, that He will lead the way and calm our fears, always keeping us in His care? He puts in front of us what we need...whether those words speak to our hearts at the time, later in the day or maybe even a few days later. Simply wonderful.
Second, I am happy to learn that I have maybe been practicing lectio on some level, as I have begun my morning with scripture and prayer for many years. In a very loosey-goosey unguided kind of way :) But I like the suggestion to re-read scripture several times, pray and reread, and will begin tomorrow. My copy of Dr. Grey's book just arrived in today's mail...I will be opening its' pages this evening, so thirsty to learn more!
Since discovering the CH blog (through Theresa's blog, My Desert Heart, actually!) and joining all of you in the Parlour, my prayer life has been unfolding ten-fold. It's been a quiet, gentle process and feels very natural. I have begun following the Divine Office online with morning prayers and night prayers. I love to listen along to the podcast (especially the night prayers.) It gives me a sense of community, joining the universal church in prayer, while still having that private prayer time I crave.
A friend recently asked me what I wanted to 'do' (as in career change) and I answered (without really thinking!) "Pray all day." She was a little surprised but not entirely, as she knows me well. :) Knowing, of course, that I have my other vocation (family) I must also have a 'paying' job to support that vocation (family.) But really....I can pray all day, can't I?! In my heart, always in my heart. I'm so happy to be able to join you as we begin to explore lectio. I know we will each benefit and grow richly as we walk together through the next days.
I pray along with each of you that we are able to keep our hearts and minds open to the direction of the Holy Spirit and as you wrote Nancy, "...keeping the grille (of scripture) before our eyes. In Jesus' name.
I just wrote a long comment to Joy and Paula and then hit some sort of "hot button" and LOST the whole thing! Maybe I'm being nudged to be concise :)!
I was glad, Joy, to find Jeff Cavins speaking - and briefly enough that it wasn't too long to deal with - on lectio! I liked that he got right to the core of it: speaking to and hearing from God.
Paula, I have been practicing lectio for many years also. I've simply called it praying with scripture, and the back-and-forth of it is quite natural to me. Which (strange as it may seem) may be why I feel reluctant to speak of it - because I don't think so much in terms of "specific steps." If that makes sense. I also have learned to pray with scripture in an "Ignatian" way, which is (again) pretty much what I was doing all along, and is basically how Cardinal Wuerl teaches in what I quoted.
Paula, I add an amen to IN JESUS' NAME. May all we say and do glorify Him.
I often have that exact same experience, Colleen, and count it a great blessing. The prayer weaves in and out of my days that way. Thank you for sharing this!
Nancy, I love the Jeff Cavins Great Adventure Series. We were privileged to have him at our parish to do the timeline a few years ago. I have learned so much from him... and you! +
Thank you, Caroline. I went to a Timeline workshop done by Jeff Cavins at Franciscan University of Steubenville some years ago, and I thought it was great. How marvelous that he was at your parish!
Hi Nancy, I loved the video with Jeff Cavins. In the early days of my return to my faith, I had caught his series Our Father's Plan on EWTN. It was a great introduction on how to read Scripture as well as a wonderful Bible Study. Your suggestion of writing down or journaling what we hear in Scripture on a given day is an excellent one. Our techy gadgets can keep us grounded in Scripture too. Yesterday as I was praying one of the Offices for the day, a verse from one of the Psalms struck me. I put it into the Memo feature on my phone and returned to it throughout the day. It helped to keep that grille work in place! :) Rosalind Moss once referred to Scripture as God's love letter to us. I love that analogy. Thanks for leading us in this exercise of praying Sacred Scripture. God bless!
Gods love letter to us. Isn't that simply beautiful? And what a wonderfully meditative song, Nancy. I can't visit too long in the parlor today....must go listen again;)
Paula, "The Hiding Place" is one of my favorite songs ever... I think of it as a perfect "cloistered heart song."
Karinann, I love that you put the verse on your phone! Most people could do that these days, couldn't they? Not I, however... I'm one of the 3 people on earth who still uses a "DumbPhone"... :)
Today's gospel was a huge smack in the head, a good one. It made me realize that even though I stop giving chase to Him (neglecting my prayer life), He never stops His.
There are some forms of prayer that I find very difficult (don't hate me, but I find praying the rosary, especially on my own, more penitential than delightful.) Praying with Scripture always feels right, natural. Thank you for the encouragement, Nancy. Once again, it is a big comfort to know you and all the other cloistered hearts are here!
Tess my heart is with you on this! Scripture also feels very natural to me. A much more comfortable place for me tan the rosary ( although I say the Hail Mary throughout the day many times....odd, now that I think of it!). Saying the rosary by myself is actually kind of stressful, as much as I wish it wasn't. So you are not alone : ) I am off to a retreat tomorrow that I am really looking forward ~ growing your prayer life! A perfect compliment to our monastic day and Lectio Journey, I think. I will be praying for all my parlour friends
Oh My, Paula...I am so "envious" of your retreat how I dearly love mine. This one in October is always one of my favorites, but I will be unable to attend this year. You are right about how so many things compliment what we are doing here at Cloistered Heart..I am in an Ignation Scripture Study, and it seems to be going hand in hand with what is happening here with Lectio, what a double blessing. Have a beautiful weekend and retreat..I will keep you in prayer also
Tess and Paula, I have difficulty in this area also. I am a born daydreamer, and the repetition aspect of the rosary just seems to invite my naturally wandering mind to flitter about - quite against my will!
Paula, I pray your retreat will be wonderful, and thank you for praying for us there!
On the post, Simply Lectio..it reminded me of how simple Lectio really can be..God did not intend to give us anything that was ever difficult, (remember He was used to dealing with Peter..ha)I must admit that when I first heard about Lectio Divina, I was intimidated thinking that it was a practice that only a few could master along with the great saints, but as I am learning more and more everyday here in the Parlor, it can be very simple and maybe even something that I have been doing all along and was unaware..I cannot claim to have memorized many verses in the Bible, but I do have my favorites, like old friends, that I seem to rely on. Maybe it can be as easy as sitting in a favorite chair in peace and silence and feeling the love of God envelope me..feeling His greatness and my smallness and dependence..I think this is something that we can all master, whether a "Martha", a "Mary" or even a beloved "Peter". We are all learning and growing from each other on this beautiful journey that God is taking us on with our Nancy as the tour guide...Thank you, Nancy and God bless us all...
Thank you, Joy. As you and all know by now, I copied some excerpts from your various comments (no names used) on the CH blog today.. I figured that would meet with your approval, since putting them here makes them public already. Of course, a lot of people come over here anyway, so already knew what we'd been saying. But I think it's nice to do a bit of "gathering" now and then. Maybe that was our after-dinner-recreation! :) So thanks to all!
I can so relate to all who spoke about having difficulty with the Rosary. I am right there with all of you. Nancy I love the analogy of the vineyard and the steps of Lectio Divina. I believe that 5th step is an important one as well. After all~ what good is wine if it is kept in a bottle never to be shared or enjoyed? I also had a thought while reading yesterday's post and the quotes you included from other parlor members. In regard to the one about not always having an experience right away. It made me think of how two people who love each other and have had an ongoing relationship can often sit in each other's company never uttering a word or doing anything special, and still feel very comfortable. Our times of prayer can and should become like this as well~simply trusting in our love for God and His for us. Thanks and God bless!
Thank you for gathering each of those thoughts and reposting. Each sentiment and shared thought lifts my heart. Such strength and comforting in the gathering of like minds and hearts, all in pursuit of serving our Lord as deeply as He would lead us.
This post, this post spoke to me so overwhelmingly of everything which I have come to know. And have found so impossible to share with those intimately around me. Only few of my religious friends would understand, no one else. So Isolating, but keeps me bound to my Lord in prayer and contemplation which then I guess in a milder way infuses those around me. Infuriating for humanist husbands.
† p.s Cabbage, cracker and milk/butter pie in the oven. I have no idea how long this takes to cook else at which temprature. I also added a little salt and pepper. I will serve up your prayer for supper and let it infuse those whom need infusing :O)
Wow! Hope it's edible and even delicious! I haven't made it in a long time. I went online to see if there were recipes because I wondered if anyone might ask :) and I couldn't remember the baking time and temperature. There are actually recipes to be found!! All have cheese, which we didn't use, and some have other things like peppers. I'll bet cheese would be good with it.. in fact, I didn't find a recipe that did NOT have cheese, but my mother and I never used it. We were very plain about it all :). But we did add salt and pepper just as you did.
Nancy, you know me well enough by now that being from the South, I am all about the food. I will be trying your escalloped cabbage...maybe even adding a little cheese on top, ha
Now to a more serious topic..the post today, A Taste of Contemplation was so beautiful..many inspiring thoughts, but I found it hard to get past the beautiful picture of Jesus and the woman at the well..I got lost in it as it spoke so much to my soul. I look at the woman sitting there so relaxed and at peace in the presence of her Jesus..they are both more informal now, more natural..Jesus is looking at her with a look of love as she does the same. This look exchanged between the two is so personal, it is almost like we are intruding into something very private. The woman is lost in the moment, and to think that just a few minutes earlier they were having such a revealing discussion about her life, her husbands and a drink of Living Water. She has surrendered now, she is a new person..a changed person just by this one encounter with this "stranger" who knew everything about her. Jesus sitting there is lovingly and with great compassion teaching her. With His one hand by His side he is making a gesture of come unto me and with His other hand lifted and in a motion of go forth..He is sending her on her mission...she is to go forth and tell all about this man who told her everything about herself..."come and see". I pray to be able to see myself in the position of the woman..sitting there at the feet of my Jesus and hanging onto His every word for He sees me for who I am...He sees my heart, my sins, my comings and my goings...I would want to be there in His presence all day. Then I realize I can do the very same thing with Lectio.. I can sit with Him and listen to His words, as He knows all about me. He will love me, teach me and then send me forth to lead others back to Him...hopefully they will see the change in me that has come from this encounter and that I will never be the same again having been touched by The Master, and they would want the same. Thank you, Nancy for this beautiful image and thought that I will keep all this day...God Bless you
Joy, as I said in my comment above, I found recipes online today for escalloped cabbage, and they ALL seem to have cheese, so your cooking instincts are obviously very good :)!
I love your reflection, and thank you so much for sharing it. In fact, I'm going to sit with what you wrote and savor it for awhile.....
It's been awhile since I've been able to visit the parlor. Forgive me as I have just a moment to make a brief comment on today's post of "Going for it". It was wonderful to read, because I too have felt this journey of Lectio has been nothing but an uphill battle. Harder than normal, even (or maybe it's always this way but in striving to do better I'm seeing things as they really are). I went to Adoration yesterday late afternoon...and it was the most difficult thing to just sit. It had been a busy day, with a busy evening ahead (it was 5pm at the time of my hour. I had to run home after so my son and husband could get to cub scouts, greet the sitter coming to watch the others so I could head out to a teacher conference for my special needs son, give instructions to the almost 12 year old because we are preparing her to babysit later on...). Finally, in the last ten minutes, after trying to read Scripture (I read it...that was about it before I dazed off somewhere else in my head), I tried to reel myself back in interiorly about a thousand times...and finally, out of exhaustion, I just vocally started talking to Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. How frustrated I was, how on earth could I practically live this life when it's so constantly busy? How was I ever going to properly love and serve Him when I have literally, nothing to give? After a few minutes, a wave of calm and silence came over me, and I was finally, finally able to be still. Not of my own accord. I felt as though the Lord wanted to let me know, I can't do anything without Him, and in trying to even do "this", prayer, on my own (it's a gift as I often forget!), if from Him, and Him alone. To never doubt His POWER....His mercy, who HE is and that He alone is in control. I'm sure this makes no sense as I type it out, but I wanted to share. I love the Fr. Dubay book. I read it before entering Carmel. I loved Fr. Dubay. His writings touched me deeply, and were a huge turning point for me in my spiritual life.
Oh Jen, what you wrote makes PERFECT sense. PERFECT sense! I have had that same kind of experience over and over and OVER. I fidget while trying to sit still. I try not to keep looking at my watch. My mind flits hither and yon and I have absolutely no control over it. For me, it's like a spiritual A.D.D., and I actually mean that literally. But many times, after I've battled this, what happened to you will happen to me. A wave of calm. I can suddenly pay attention. And then, ironically, it may be time when I have to get up and go!
Thank you SO MUCH for sharing. I'm quite sure many are identifying with this very battle.
Nancy, Something struck me quite forcefully in reading some of the quotes you provided from Fr. Dubay's book. He said that for Teresa of Avila, contemplation was an "experienced mutual presence". A mutual presence, meaning both God and I are present in this prayerful dialogue. This made me look at how present I really am to God during my prayer time. Often I allow the distractions to tear me away from Him sometimes without my even realizing it. I think that keeping this thought of "mutual presence" that St. Teresa gives us is away to bring our presence and focus back to God. The other thing that occurred to me while reading some of the comments is that Lectio Divina is a powerful form of prayer, and it is the last thing with which Satan would like us to succeed. He will throw plenty of distractions or at least opportunities for distraction our way. All I can do is to answer him with the most powerful weapon we have, Scripture itself: "God's Word is living and effective..." This two edged sword will cut away and through those idle distractions. Thanks Nancy, for keeping us going with much food for prayer and meditation during this Lectio day, and for the spiritual helpers like Frs. Dubay and Bartunek.
What an inspiration - thanks be to God. I have been helped today by asking myself how present I am to God during my prayer time.. I'm SO glad you shared this insight with us.
Yep, the evil one throws distractions our way all right, and knows just which ones will get to each one of US. And yes, Scripture cuts through and is the weapon.. I think of Jesus in the desert. Today I experienced Scripture cutting through distractions - I kept returning to it when my mind started to wander. Thanks be to God for His Word!
Karinann ~ very insightful and completely captures my thoughts this weekend! After a week of struggling with prayer life, meditation, contemplation or anything remotely related to my faith life!, I finally gave up the wheel to Jesus and admitted defeat! But in a prayerful way, if you know what I mean :) On some level I knew that the distractions where coming from somewhere or something other than God. Your posting on Satan being unhappy with our learning and focusing on Lectio Divina makes perfect sense to me ~ all the more reason to keep forging ahead :)
A few things struck me yesterday as I sat once again in my morning prayer, somewhat distractedly at first. In looking over notes in my prayer journal, scriptures readings I had been drawn to throughout the week all came together in one cohesive message. A string of readings that alone were poignant, but together so powerful a message that my heart completely open up and became at peace.
"My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from evil." (John 17:15)
"All believers were on in heart and mind...they shared everything they had." (Acts 4:32) and then finally,
"This is what the Lord says - your redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the Lord your God who teaches you what is best for you. Who directs you in the way you should go." (Isaiah 48:17)
In light of my 'lectio' struggles this week, my heart was further put to peace when I read the words of writer Marjorie Holmes (Women's Devotional Bible, NIV, pg 779), "However meek and humble our place is, it is where we have been placed. Rejoice in that as we love and serve our Lord."
Praise God for this collective gathering of sweet souls who are all on the quest for a closer union with God. As we are all drawn to the quiet of a cloistered heart, may we continue to strive to put ourselves in "mutual presence" with God (in spite of the distractions!) and know that our Lord is guiding and watching over us each step of the way. Special prayers of thanksgiving as well today for Nancy for providing her CH blog, and this wonderful forum for sharing and praise. Each of you builds my spirit, strengthens my faith and validates the very things the Lord draws me to. God bless!
"My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from evil." (John 17:15) Paula, this has stayed with me since I saw it here yesterday. And thank you for prayer!! I, too, praise God for the sweet, sweet souls here... what a beautiful blessing.
Oh yes, how we can all relate to this..I really think, at times, it is the evil one just stirring things up and not allowing our restless minds to find that quiet zone of uninterrupted peace that we so need. But God always comes through..He is, indeed, in control..Thanks be to God.
On a funny note to give example..Did you hear about the two priest talking, and one bragged, "I can say a whole Hail Mary without one distraction...oh no you can't said the other priest, If you can say a Hail Mary without one distraction, I will give you my horse...the first Priest takes him up on the bet and starts, Hail Mary, full of grace, ..Does the saddle go with it??????..I think we all struggle with this constant annoying thorn..We have to just keep on keeping on..God Bless
I love this, Joy - it makes me smile about my own failings! Maybe this can be the very thing that can snap me back to attention during my mental rovings ("oh, I'm just being distracted by saddles again....")
Hi, everyone! I've just discovered that a couple of your comments have wound up in my "spam folder," and were never posted. Only recently did I discover I even HAD a spam folder (DUH) and how to get to it. I just thought such things were deleted and wound up "nowhere." I clicked to post (I thought) what I knew was fine, and still don't find these things in the comments anywhere. So I apologize!
Hi Nancy, Not to worry..I'm a late bloomer as far as technology, so I relate to finding out about things I've done or not done on my site LOL
"In order to face such conflicts day after day, we need to become saturated in God's Word"
This has been the way I've tried to live my life over the years..When I slack off or don't really allow the time I need to become saturated...it's very evident. Blessings +
Oh Caroline, it is SO evident in me as well when I slack off. Thanks be to God that He lets us know our dependency on HIM!
Colleen, by now you have probably noticed that I quoted this comment in today's post. I don't quote e-mails without getting permission, but I sorta figure a comment is public already. But if anyone minds me doing that, please let me know!
So beautiful! I, too, find that most times, a concrete resolution does not come to mind. The perfectionist in me yells...*you are doing something wrong*. But then I realize my prayer has always been a more silent prayer with the Lord...an awareness of His Presence and work in me. He is quite aware of what needs to be purified and I need to have a spirit of acceptance.
Love the Prologue in John's Gospel...I could spend weeks there : )
Theresa, I haven't done well at resolutions either... at least, not at keeping them. But when God GIVES the nudge in a particular direction, it seems that power to go that way comes along with it, for me. If that makes sense. I still have to follow, however!!! Dr. Gray may be speaking of the same thing, just in different terms. ??
I loved the image of the astronaut being saturated in oxygen to live in the atmosphere of the moon, and how we need to be saturated in the breath of God's word to live here. I had an image of being a visitor from our Homeland to this foreign place.. earth(this world is not our home..we are just pilgrims passing through on the journey back home). And to think that we can carry with us everywhere we go and in every circumstance we encounter the wonderful, sweet, fragrant atmosphere of our Homeland...what a comfort and a reassurance, however it can make us homesick at times, but we must go forward until our mission is accomplished. I would never want to leave home without the breath of God's word breathed on me and surrounding me all through the day, and with practice I will do better at this.
I don't know about any of the others here in the Cloistered Heart, but I have certainly been under attack lately, and I know that it is because I am drawing nearer to my Lord which makes the evil one very unhappy..I wonder, Nancy, if at some point in time you could touch on this and maybe prepare us for this if and when it happens. In the meantime I will just take a couple of deep breaths of God's word and the breath of Home..God bless us all.
Joy, I can relate to what you said about experiencing attacks as you draw closer to Our Lord. You have already taken the first step in dealing with these~you have acknowledged them for what they are. Next just keep doing what you are doing in drawing closer to God. Other things you can do: the sacraments! Get to daily Mass if and when you can, regular confession, pray the prayer to St Michael, and don't forget Our Lady~even if you can't get a Rosary in, at least carry a rosary with you and ask her protection. These are just some of the things I turn to when the evil one tries to get to me. I, as I am sure all of us here, will keep you in our prayers. God bless.
Karinann, Thank you so much for sharing the information on what I need to do in order to survive attacks from the evil one...He seems to be very busy these days for sure, and I will take your sharing to heart and arm myself for battle with the help of Our Lord, The Blessed Mother and St. Michael.. I appreciate your intercessory prayers also...God Bless
Nancy, I love all that you said about living Lectio. I too often take the more subtle approach in doing this. I have trouble making those hard and fast resolutions at times. One experience I had last week with a line of Scripture, I think from Ephesians, has stayed with me since reading and praying it. The passage spoke about "existing for the praise of Your glory." That just stopped me dead in my tracks! To think and believe that we, each of us, exists for the praise of God's glory; that is truly humbling. How different our lives can be if we strive to live that verse. Thanks for continuing to lead us through these Lectio days.
Yes, we are in a battle, and what a blessing that we can pray for each other and help one another make it through. I DO hope to touch on it, Joy, and am trusting Our Lord for the timing and the "how" of that. And Karinann, the passage you spoke of stops me in my tracks also.... I feel that if I can just hold onto that, it will be a lifeline in struggles and in all times. It is why we EXIST. Thanks be to God!
Oh how I need to spend more time with God's word. I've been doing that the past few days, and I notice a difference in how I see, how I feel. And we so need the protection of his love in times like these, don't we?
Nancy, I think the hardest of the 4 for me is--concentrate. Even if I do the other 3 I often become frustrated in this..but I'm learning to just return to the moment and keep going instead of allowing frustration to rake over. Thanks for this. +
Caroline, ME TOO! Concentration has always been really tough for me, as my mind is very "drifty," and the older I get the more of a struggle it becomes. I like what you said about keeping going and not letting frustration take over... thanks!
I TAKE A MINUTE TO ASK FOR PRAYER FOR THOSE IN THE PATH OF THE STORM "SANDY." Some of our Parlor friends are in the direct path as I write this, so if you who see this would join in prayer for all who are affected, I know all will be grateful. Thanks!
Nancy thank you to you and all who prayed for those of us in Sandy's path. While I do not live on the coast of NJ which endured the brunt of the damage, things were a bit scary last night as the winds hit 78mph- it sounded like a freight train going through my apartment! As I was telling a friend in an e-mail this morning, my apartment complex has a small Mary Garden at its main entrance, so I attribute the minimal damage and our safety to her who I know watches over us. But I still lit my blessed candle and prayed a Rosary during the peak of the storm as well :) As I can not go to work for most of this week, I have some added time for Lectio!
Thanks for the prayers Colleen. Nancy, Scripture is always a great comfort in difficult situations. When I don't know where to go or where God wants me to read specifically, I usually open to the Psalms~there is something there for every situation and emotion.
Praise God! That truly is good news. We are in Newport and were very, very fortunate. Moreso than others in this little state of ours. Such devastation is difficult to see. Will continue to lift those who are still in the throes of it all and give thanks for those who were untouched. Now more than ever Lectio is so very important. Oh, and a Mary garden. Lovely! We (I) have been talking about beautifying a small area for a prayer sanctuary outdoors...I will be praying to Mary to guide our plans! Thank you all for your prayers!
Really love your post on Lectio. Since reading the book by Tim Gray, I have been faithfully reading through the Gospel of John in the evening.
ReplyDeleteI think we have to really be open to where the Spirit leads. We are not always going to have an *experience* i.e. the scriptures will not always speak to us at that specific moment...it may even be quite dry. We may find that nothing struck us but a few days later, that particular verse will come to mind. There are times when I read a verse and it does strike me, but I don't have any particular words to say so I will sit quietly in God's Presence. It will be different for each unique soul.
I look forward to other's comments.
Theresa, I've had (on numerous occasions) the experience of "no experience" - and then found that a verse has come back to me later in the day or even days later. Which is why, I think, the idea of a "Day of Lectio" seems fitting. Scripture not just contained in prayer time, but weaving throughout the circumstances of our whole day.
ReplyDeleteFrom Monika, October 9: I have been richly blessed by following the monastic days here as they unfold, as well as by the awareness of the community here praying their daily lives. It's beautiful how every moment of my ordinary day can find a corresponding moment in the day as it is lived by the nuns and monks: prayer, study, chores, rest, even eating and sleeping. Monastic life seems to be simply life itself, lived more intentionally, lived symbolically. I've benefited from practicing the direction of intention. And I love the quote you've posted more than once about the germ of a monastic vocation in every Christian vocation; it confirms that what has been in my own heart is something real, something that can harmonize with my vocation to married life and motherhood.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to the immersion in lectio. For various reasons (some known to me, some unknown), opening the Sacred Scriptures is a challenge for me, a weak point in my spiritual life that is becoming more visible lately. I think your thoughts (and the thoughts of others here as well) will be helpful to me as they have been on other topics. I do love the Bible and there was a time in my life when my relationship with the written word of God was strong and healthy. This gives me hope for what is to come though I also know that things will necessarily be different now than they were in the past. A renewal of active love for Sacred Scripture seems to be the resolution God is leading me to (through this blog) for the Year of Faith.
Nancy, thank you for cooperating with God to provide this sacred space!
Monika, you have expressed so well the very core of our monastic days and in fact the core of the cloistered heart. "Monastic life seems to be simply life itself, lived more intentionally, lived symbolically." ".. every moment of my ordinary day can find a corresponding moment in the day as it is lived by the nuns and monks: prayer, study, chores, rest, even eating and sleeping" "...something that can harmonize with my vocation to married life and motherhood..."
DeleteThe harmonies can be hard to find, for me at least... they can get swallowed up in the day to day drumming of noises that clash. And as we know, the "world's" brash proclamations can indeed clash with the gentle, melodic harmonies of God's will. And I will stop before this becomes a whole post (it just might be part of one!).. but THANK YOU for your words.
I am very glad you're here.
From Magsmuse, October 10: "I did so for fear the course I was adopting or had already adopted would not be allowed. On the contrary, they recognised that I had been commissioned to preach the Good News to the uncircumcised"
ReplyDeleteI have done lectio before, usually a far smaller amount of scripture touches me and brings me to attention, sometimes a single word, so powerfully awakes the soul, where before I was sleeping to the word or inattentive. But today this whole piece protruded for me, just like the test at the opticians where slowly one of the picture raises itself beyond all others in to great focus and clarity.
I Loved today's picture over in the cloistered heart, especially as I recently stood below and breathed in the power directly below the original. Thank God for my blessing. Thank God for the Cloistered Heart †
I like the analogy of the test at the optician's - wonderful. Thank you.
Delete"I did so for fear the course I was adopting or had already adopted would not be allowed. On the contrary, they recognised that I had been commissioned to preach the Good News to the uncircumcised"
DeleteHaving only came to my faith in my late 30's I so feared the reaction of my very secular mother, my alternative friends, my brothers and sisters. I feared the reaction of my humanist husband, I did not fear my children's reaction but I certainly worried about how to softly and gentle introduce the older ones (who were not used to church) to something which was suddenly burning inside of me.
But after initial awkwardnesses and a few in jokes, they seem to have not only accepted my Passion but get me with far more understanding than they ever did before. My children are now deeply faithful, children are just so good at it, and the other are sharing in conversations about faith which never happened before. God is so blessing my life and those 'uncircumcised' around me :O)
A few things above are not really from "Anonymous" - I did put in your names! I was trying to copy the last couple of things from yesterday's comments, to help us lead into today's. Then I tried to put things in order, but decided I'd made ENOUGH OF A MESS ALREADY! So now, it "is what it is!"
ReplyDeleteAnd on we go.....
Nancy..I really enjoyed listening to our guest speaker, Jeff Cavins...He is so very knowledgeable and explains matters so clearly..As he said, how delicious is it to receive a WORD from God? When we read the scriptures we are reading God's words to us and when we pray we send our words to God..so beautiful. I pray to become more adept at listening for His word to me through His scriptures..Lectio Divina.
ReplyDeletePS..I like the new Parlor.. so peaceful and relaxing. God Bless
Wonderful first post to start us off on Lectio today. I'm struck by several things, the first being the scripture readings you suggested this morning. The very same from Philippians that I have been led to read, reread and contemplate over the last few days! My heart swells when that type of *experience* occurs! The words lept from the page today as they have the last few. Why does this surprise me, though? Isn't that what the Lord promises us, that He will lead the way and calm our fears, always keeping us in His care? He puts in front of us what we need...whether those words speak to our hearts at the time, later in the day or maybe even a few days later. Simply wonderful.
ReplyDeleteSecond, I am happy to learn that I have maybe been practicing lectio on some level, as I have begun my morning with scripture and prayer for many years. In a very loosey-goosey unguided kind of way :) But I like the suggestion to re-read scripture several times, pray and reread, and will begin tomorrow. My copy of Dr. Grey's book just arrived in today's mail...I will be opening its' pages this evening, so thirsty to learn more!
Since discovering the CH blog (through Theresa's blog, My Desert Heart, actually!) and joining all of you in the Parlour, my prayer life has been unfolding ten-fold. It's been a quiet, gentle process and feels very natural. I have begun following the Divine Office online with morning prayers and night prayers. I love to listen along to the podcast (especially the night prayers.) It gives me a sense of community, joining the universal church in prayer, while still having that private prayer time I crave.
A friend recently asked me what I wanted to 'do' (as in career change) and I answered (without really thinking!) "Pray all day." She was a little surprised but not entirely, as she knows me well. :) Knowing, of course, that I have my other vocation (family) I must also have a 'paying' job to support that vocation (family.) But really....I can pray all day, can't I?! In my heart, always in my heart. I'm so happy to be able to join you as we begin to explore lectio. I know we will each benefit and grow richly as we walk together through the next days.
I pray along with each of you that we are able to keep our hearts and minds open to the direction of the Holy Spirit and as you wrote Nancy, "...keeping the grille (of scripture) before our eyes. In Jesus' name.
I just wrote a long comment to Joy and Paula and then hit some sort of "hot button" and LOST the whole thing! Maybe I'm being nudged to be concise :)!
ReplyDeleteI was glad, Joy, to find Jeff Cavins speaking - and briefly enough that it wasn't too long to deal with - on lectio! I liked that he got right to the core of it: speaking to and hearing from God.
Paula, I have been practicing lectio for many years also. I've simply called it praying with scripture, and the back-and-forth of it is quite natural to me. Which (strange as it may seem) may be why I feel reluctant to speak of it - because I don't think so much in terms of "specific steps." If that makes sense. I also have learned to pray with scripture in an "Ignatian" way, which is (again) pretty much what I was doing all along, and is basically how Cardinal Wuerl teaches in what I quoted.
Paula, I add an amen to IN JESUS' NAME. May all we say and do glorify Him.
I often have that exact same experience, Colleen, and count it a great blessing. The prayer weaves in and out of my days that way. Thank you for sharing this!
ReplyDeleteNancy, I love the Jeff Cavins Great Adventure Series. We were privileged to have him at our parish to do the timeline a few years ago. I have learned so much from him...
ReplyDeleteand you! +
Thank you, Caroline. I went to a Timeline workshop done by Jeff Cavins at Franciscan University of Steubenville some years ago, and I thought it was great. How marvelous that he was at your parish!
DeleteHi Nancy,
ReplyDeleteI loved the video with Jeff Cavins. In the early days of my return to my faith, I had caught his series Our Father's Plan on EWTN. It was a great introduction on how to read Scripture as well as a wonderful Bible Study.
Your suggestion of writing down or journaling what we hear in Scripture on a given day is an excellent one. Our techy gadgets can keep us grounded in Scripture too. Yesterday as I was praying one of the Offices for the day, a verse from one of the Psalms struck me. I put it into the Memo feature on my phone and returned to it throughout the day. It helped to keep that grille work in place! :)
Rosalind Moss once referred to Scripture as God's love letter to us. I love that analogy.
Thanks for leading us in this exercise of praying Sacred Scripture. God bless!
Gods love letter to us. Isn't that simply beautiful? And what a wonderfully meditative song, Nancy. I can't visit too long in the parlor today....must go listen again;)
DeletePaula, "The Hiding Place" is one of my favorite songs ever... I think of it as a perfect "cloistered heart song."
DeleteKarinann, I love that you put the verse on your phone! Most people could do that these days, couldn't they? Not I, however... I'm one of the 3 people on earth who still uses a "DumbPhone"... :)
Today's gospel was a huge smack in the head, a good one. It made me realize that even though I stop giving chase to Him (neglecting my prayer life), He never stops His.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this, Jen! I'm now off to pray with that very Scripture...
DeleteThere are some forms of prayer that I find very difficult (don't hate me, but I find praying the rosary, especially on my own, more penitential than delightful.) Praying with Scripture always feels right, natural.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the encouragement, Nancy. Once again, it is a big comfort to know you and all the other cloistered hearts are here!
Tess my heart is with you on this! Scripture also feels very natural to me. A much more comfortable place for me tan the rosary ( although I say the Hail Mary throughout the day many times....odd, now that I think of it!). Saying the rosary by myself is actually kind of stressful, as much as I wish it wasn't. So you are not alone : )
ReplyDeleteI am off to a retreat tomorrow that I am really looking forward ~ growing your prayer life! A perfect compliment to our monastic day and Lectio Journey, I think. I will be praying for all my parlour friends
Oh My, Paula...I am so "envious" of your retreat how I dearly love mine. This one in October is always one of my favorites, but I will be unable to attend this year. You are right about how so many things compliment what we are doing here at Cloistered Heart..I am in an Ignation Scripture Study, and it seems to be going hand in hand with what is happening here with Lectio, what a double blessing. Have a beautiful weekend and retreat..I will keep you in prayer also
DeleteTess and Paula, I have difficulty in this area also. I am a born daydreamer, and the repetition aspect of the rosary just seems to invite my naturally wandering mind to flitter about - quite against my will!
ReplyDeletePaula, I pray your retreat will be wonderful, and thank you for praying for us there!
Thank you, Colleen, for prayer for us. It is God Who meets with each one us in Lectio Divina, and isn't that an awe inspiring thought?!
ReplyDeleteOn the post, Simply Lectio..it reminded me of how simple Lectio really can be..God did not intend to give us anything that was ever difficult, (remember He was used to dealing with Peter..ha)I must admit that when I first heard about Lectio Divina, I was intimidated thinking that it was a practice that only a few could master along with the great saints, but as I am learning more and more everyday here in the Parlor, it can be very simple and maybe even something that I have been doing all along and was unaware..I cannot claim to have memorized many verses in the Bible, but I do have my favorites, like old friends, that I seem to rely on. Maybe it can be as easy as sitting in a favorite chair in peace and silence and feeling the love of God envelope me..feeling His greatness and my smallness and dependence..I think this is something that we can all master, whether a "Martha", a "Mary" or even a beloved "Peter". We are all learning and growing from each other on this beautiful journey that God is taking us on with our Nancy as the tour guide...Thank you, Nancy and God bless us all...
ReplyDeleteThank you, Joy. As you and all know by now, I copied some excerpts from your various comments (no names used) on the CH blog today.. I figured that would meet with your approval, since putting them here makes them public already. Of course, a lot of people come over here anyway, so already knew what we'd been saying. But I think it's nice to do a bit of "gathering" now and then. Maybe that was our after-dinner-recreation! :) So thanks to all!
ReplyDeleteI can so relate to all who spoke about having difficulty with the Rosary. I am right there with all of you.
ReplyDeleteNancy I love the analogy of the vineyard and the steps of Lectio Divina. I believe that 5th step is an important one as well. After all~ what good is wine if it is kept in a bottle never to be shared or enjoyed?
I also had a thought while reading yesterday's post and the quotes you included from other parlor members. In regard to the one about not always having an experience right away. It made me think of how two people who love each other and have had an ongoing relationship can often sit in each other's company never uttering a word or doing anything special, and still feel very comfortable. Our times of prayer can and should become like this as well~simply trusting in our love for God and His for us.
Thanks and God bless!
I love this, about the 2 people in each other's company being very comfortable! Wonderful.
DeleteI also really like what you said about the 5th step... thanks for sharing this insight.
Thank you for gathering each of those thoughts and reposting. Each sentiment and shared thought lifts my heart. Such strength and comforting in the gathering of like minds and hearts, all in pursuit of serving our Lord as deeply as He would lead us.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Paula. I LOVE seeing how our Lord works in different people!
DeleteThis post, this post spoke to me so overwhelmingly of everything which I have come to know. And have found so impossible to share with those intimately around me. Only few of my religious friends would understand, no one else. So Isolating, but keeps me bound to my Lord in prayer and contemplation which then I guess in a milder way infuses those around me. Infuriating for humanist husbands.
ReplyDeleteI will be offering special prayer today for your husband, and you.
DeletexThank God x
ReplyDelete† p.s Cabbage, cracker and milk/butter pie in the oven. I have no idea how long this takes to cook else at which temprature. I also added a little salt and pepper. I will serve up your prayer for supper and let it infuse those whom need infusing :O)
ReplyDeleteWow! Hope it's edible and even delicious! I haven't made it in a long time. I went online to see if there were recipes because I wondered if anyone might ask :) and I couldn't remember the baking time and temperature. There are actually recipes to be found!! All have cheese, which we didn't use, and some have other things like peppers. I'll bet cheese would be good with it.. in fact, I didn't find a recipe that did NOT have cheese, but my mother and I never used it. We were very plain about it all :). But we did add salt and pepper just as you did.
DeleteNancy, you know me well enough by now that being from the South, I am all about the food. I will be trying your escalloped cabbage...maybe even adding a little cheese on top, ha
ReplyDeleteNow to a more serious topic..the post today, A Taste of Contemplation was so beautiful..many inspiring thoughts, but I found it hard to get past the beautiful picture of Jesus and the woman at the well..I got lost in it as it spoke so much to my soul. I look at the woman sitting there so relaxed and at peace in the presence of her Jesus..they are both more informal now, more natural..Jesus is looking at her with a look of love as she does the same. This look exchanged between the two is so personal, it is almost like we are intruding into something very private. The woman is lost in the moment, and to think that just a few minutes earlier they were having such a revealing discussion about her life, her husbands and a drink of Living Water. She has surrendered now, she is a new person..a changed person just by this one encounter with this "stranger" who knew everything about her. Jesus sitting there is lovingly and with great compassion teaching her. With His one hand by His side he is making a gesture of come unto me and with His other hand lifted and in a motion of go forth..He is sending her on her mission...she is to go forth and tell all about this man who told her everything about herself..."come and see".
I pray to be able to see myself in the position of the woman..sitting there at the feet of my Jesus and hanging onto His every word for He sees me for who I am...He sees my heart, my sins, my comings and my goings...I would want to be there in His presence all day. Then I realize I can do the very same thing with Lectio.. I can sit with Him and listen to His words, as He knows all about me. He will love me, teach me and then send me forth to lead others back to Him...hopefully they will see the change in me that has come from this encounter and that I will never be the same again having been touched by The Master, and they would want the same. Thank you, Nancy for this beautiful image and thought that I will keep all this day...God Bless you
Joy, as I said in my comment above, I found recipes online today for escalloped cabbage, and they ALL seem to have cheese, so your cooking instincts are obviously very good :)!
ReplyDeleteI love your reflection, and thank you so much for sharing it. In fact, I'm going to sit with what you wrote and savor it for awhile.....
It's been awhile since I've been able to visit the parlor. Forgive me as I have just a moment to make a brief comment on today's post of "Going for it". It was wonderful to read, because I too have felt this journey of Lectio has been nothing but an uphill battle. Harder than normal, even (or maybe it's always this way but in striving to do better I'm seeing things as they really are). I went to Adoration yesterday late afternoon...and it was the most difficult thing to just sit. It had been a busy day, with a busy evening ahead (it was 5pm at the time of my hour. I had to run home after so my son and husband could get to cub scouts, greet the sitter coming to watch the others so I could head out to a teacher conference for my special needs son, give instructions to the almost 12 year old because we are preparing her to babysit later on...). Finally, in the last ten minutes, after trying to read Scripture (I read it...that was about it before I dazed off somewhere else in my head), I tried to reel myself back in interiorly about a thousand times...and finally, out of exhaustion, I just vocally started talking to Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. How frustrated I was, how on earth could I practically live this life when it's so constantly busy? How was I ever going to properly love and serve Him when I have literally, nothing to give? After a few minutes, a wave of calm and silence came over me, and I was finally, finally able to be still. Not of my own accord. I felt as though the Lord wanted to let me know, I can't do anything without Him, and in trying to even do "this", prayer, on my own (it's a gift as I often forget!), if from Him, and Him alone. To never doubt His POWER....His mercy, who HE is and that He alone is in control. I'm sure this makes no sense as I type it out, but I wanted to share. I love the Fr. Dubay book. I read it before entering Carmel. I loved Fr. Dubay. His writings touched me deeply, and were a huge turning point for me in my spiritual life.
ReplyDeleteOh Jen, what you wrote makes PERFECT sense. PERFECT sense! I have had that same kind of experience over and over and OVER. I fidget while trying to sit still. I try not to keep looking at my watch. My mind flits hither and yon and I have absolutely no control over it. For me, it's like a spiritual A.D.D., and I actually mean that literally. But many times, after I've battled this, what happened to you will happen to me. A wave of calm. I can suddenly pay attention. And then, ironically, it may be time when I have to get up and go!
ReplyDeleteThank you SO MUCH for sharing. I'm quite sure many are identifying with this very battle.
Nancy,
ReplyDeleteSomething struck me quite forcefully in reading some of the quotes you provided from Fr. Dubay's book. He said that for Teresa of Avila, contemplation was an "experienced mutual presence". A mutual presence, meaning both God and I are present in this prayerful dialogue. This made me look at how present I really am to God during my prayer time. Often I allow the distractions to tear me away from Him sometimes without my even realizing it. I think that keeping this thought of "mutual presence"
that St. Teresa gives us is away to bring our presence and focus back to God.
The other thing that occurred to me while reading some of the comments is that Lectio Divina is a powerful form of prayer, and it is the last thing with which Satan would like us to succeed. He will throw plenty of distractions or at least opportunities for distraction our way. All I can do is to answer him with the most powerful weapon we have, Scripture itself: "God's Word is living and effective..." This two edged sword will cut away and through those idle distractions.
Thanks Nancy, for keeping us going with much food for prayer and meditation during this Lectio day, and for the spiritual helpers like Frs. Dubay and Bartunek.
What an inspiration - thanks be to God. I have been helped today by asking myself how present I am to God during my prayer time.. I'm SO glad you shared this insight with us.
DeleteYep, the evil one throws distractions our way all right, and knows just which ones will get to each one of US. And yes, Scripture cuts through and is the weapon.. I think of Jesus in the desert. Today I experienced Scripture cutting through distractions - I kept returning to it when my mind started to wander. Thanks be to God for His Word!
Karinann ~ very insightful and completely captures my thoughts this weekend! After a week of struggling with prayer life, meditation, contemplation or anything remotely related to my faith life!, I finally gave up the wheel to Jesus and admitted defeat! But in a prayerful way, if you know what I mean :) On some level I knew that the distractions where coming from somewhere or something other than God. Your posting on Satan being unhappy with our learning and focusing on Lectio Divina makes perfect sense to me ~ all the more reason to keep forging ahead :)
DeleteA few things struck me yesterday as I sat once again in my morning prayer, somewhat distractedly at first. In looking over notes in my prayer journal, scriptures readings I had been drawn to throughout the week all came together in one cohesive message. A string of readings that alone were poignant, but together so powerful a message that my heart completely open up and became at peace.
"My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from evil." (John 17:15)
"All believers were on in heart and mind...they shared everything they had." (Acts 4:32) and then finally,
"This is what the Lord says - your redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "I am the Lord your God who teaches you what is best for you. Who directs you in the way you should go." (Isaiah 48:17)
In light of my 'lectio' struggles this week, my heart was further put to peace when I read the words of writer Marjorie Holmes (Women's Devotional Bible, NIV, pg 779), "However meek and humble our place is, it is where we have been placed. Rejoice in that as we love and serve our Lord."
Praise God for this collective gathering of sweet souls who are all on the quest for a closer union with God. As we are all drawn to the quiet of a cloistered heart, may we continue to strive to put ourselves in "mutual presence" with God (in spite of the distractions!) and know that our Lord is guiding and watching over us each step of the way. Special prayers of thanksgiving as well today for Nancy for providing her CH blog, and this wonderful forum for sharing and praise. Each of you builds my spirit, strengthens my faith and validates the very things the Lord draws me to. God bless!
"My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from evil." (John 17:15) Paula, this has stayed with me since I saw it here yesterday. And thank you for prayer!! I, too, praise God for the sweet, sweet souls here... what a beautiful blessing.
DeleteOh yes, how we can all relate to this..I really think, at times, it is the evil one just stirring things up and not allowing our restless minds to find that quiet zone of uninterrupted peace that we so need. But God always comes through..He is, indeed, in control..Thanks be to God.
ReplyDeleteOn a funny note to give example..Did you hear about the two priest talking, and one bragged, "I can say a whole Hail Mary without one distraction...oh no you can't said the other priest, If you can say a Hail Mary without one distraction, I will give you my horse...the first Priest takes him up on the bet and starts, Hail Mary, full of grace, ..Does the saddle go with it??????..I think we all struggle with this constant annoying thorn..We have to just keep on keeping on..God Bless
I love this, Joy - it makes me smile about my own failings! Maybe this can be the very thing that can snap me back to attention during my mental rovings ("oh, I'm just being distracted by saddles again....")
DeleteHi, everyone! I've just discovered that a couple of your comments have wound up in my "spam folder," and were never posted. Only recently did I discover I even HAD a spam folder (DUH) and how to get to it. I just thought such things were deleted and wound up "nowhere." I clicked to post (I thought) what I knew was fine, and still don't find these things in the comments anywhere. So I apologize!
ReplyDeleteHi Nancy, Not to worry..I'm a late bloomer as far as technology, so I relate to finding out about things I've done or not done on my site LOL
ReplyDelete"In order to face such conflicts day after day, we need to become saturated in God's Word"
This has been the way I've tried to live my life over the years..When I slack off or don't really allow the time I need to become saturated...it's very evident.
Blessings +
Oh Caroline, it is SO evident in me as well when I slack off. Thanks be to God that He lets us know our dependency on HIM!
ReplyDeleteColleen, by now you have probably noticed that I quoted this comment in today's post. I don't quote e-mails without getting permission, but I sorta figure a comment is public already. But if anyone minds me doing that, please let me know!
So beautiful! I, too, find that most times, a concrete resolution does not come to mind. The perfectionist in me yells...*you are doing something wrong*. But then I realize my prayer has always been a more silent prayer with the Lord...an awareness of His Presence and work in me. He is quite aware of what needs to be purified and I need to have a spirit of acceptance.
ReplyDeleteLove the Prologue in John's Gospel...I could spend weeks there : )
Colleen, thank you so much!
ReplyDeleteTheresa, I haven't done well at resolutions either... at least, not at keeping them. But when God GIVES the nudge in a particular direction, it seems that power to go that way comes along with it, for me. If that makes sense. I still have to follow, however!!! Dr. Gray may be speaking of the same thing, just in different terms. ??
I loved the image of the astronaut being saturated in oxygen to live in the atmosphere of the moon, and how we need to be saturated in the breath of God's word to live here.
ReplyDeleteI had an image of being a visitor from our Homeland to this foreign place.. earth(this world is not our home..we are just pilgrims passing through on the journey back home). And to think that we can carry with us everywhere we go and in every circumstance we encounter the wonderful, sweet, fragrant atmosphere of our Homeland...what a comfort and a reassurance, however it can make us homesick at times, but we must go forward until our mission is accomplished. I would never want to leave home without the breath of God's word breathed on me and surrounding me all through the day, and with practice I will do better at this.
I don't know about any of the others here in the Cloistered Heart, but I have certainly been under attack lately, and I know that it is because I am drawing nearer to my Lord which makes the evil one very unhappy..I wonder, Nancy, if at some point in time you could touch on this and maybe prepare us for this if and when it happens. In the meantime I will just take a couple of deep breaths of God's word and the breath of Home..God bless us all.
Joy,
DeleteI can relate to what you said about experiencing attacks as you draw closer to Our Lord. You have already taken the first step in dealing with these~you have acknowledged them for what they are. Next just keep doing what you are doing in drawing closer to God. Other things you can do: the sacraments! Get to daily Mass if and when you can, regular confession, pray the prayer to St Michael, and don't forget Our Lady~even if you can't get a Rosary in, at least carry a rosary with you and ask her protection.
These are just some of the things I turn to when the evil one tries to get to me.
I, as I am sure all of us here, will keep you in our prayers.
God bless.
Karinann,
DeleteThank you so much for sharing the information on what I need to do in order to survive attacks from the evil one...He seems to be very busy these days for sure, and I will take your sharing to heart and arm myself for battle with the help of Our Lord, The Blessed Mother and St. Michael.. I appreciate your intercessory prayers also...God Bless
Nancy,
ReplyDeleteI love all that you said about living Lectio. I too often take the more subtle approach in doing this. I have trouble making those hard and fast resolutions at times. One experience I had last week with a line of Scripture, I think from Ephesians, has stayed with me since reading and praying it. The passage spoke about "existing for the praise of Your glory." That just stopped me dead in my tracks! To think and believe that we, each of us, exists for the praise of God's glory; that is truly humbling. How different our lives can be if we strive to live that verse.
Thanks for continuing to lead us through these Lectio days.
Yes, we are in a battle, and what a blessing that we can pray for each other and help one another make it through. I DO hope to touch on it, Joy, and am trusting Our Lord for the timing and the "how" of that. And Karinann, the passage you spoke of stops me in my tracks also.... I feel that if I can just hold onto that, it will be a lifeline in struggles and in all times. It is why we EXIST. Thanks be to God!
ReplyDeleteOh how I need to spend more time with God's word. I've been doing that the past few days, and I notice a difference in how I see, how I feel. And we so need the protection of his love in times like these, don't we?
ReplyDeleteIndeed we do need the protection of His love in times like these, Angela. Oh, indeed. I'm so glad you're here!
DeleteNancy, I think the hardest of the 4 for me is--concentrate. Even if I do the other 3 I often become frustrated in this..but I'm learning to just return to the moment and keep going instead of allowing frustration to rake over. Thanks for this. +
ReplyDeleteCaroline, ME TOO! Concentration has always been really tough for me, as my mind is very "drifty," and the older I get the more of a struggle it becomes. I like what you said about keeping going and not letting frustration take over... thanks!
ReplyDeleteI TAKE A MINUTE TO ASK FOR PRAYER FOR THOSE IN THE PATH OF THE STORM "SANDY." Some of our Parlor friends are in the direct path as I write this, so if you who see this would join in prayer for all who are affected, I know all will be grateful. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThe first chapter of John is my favorite! I memorized it too since it struck me so much. I am currently praying my way through John.
ReplyDeleteThank you for prayers!
Nancy thank you to you and all who prayed for those of us in Sandy's path. While I do not live on the coast of NJ which endured the brunt of the damage, things were a bit scary last night as the winds hit 78mph- it sounded like a freight train going through my apartment!
ReplyDeleteAs I was telling a friend in an e-mail this morning, my apartment complex has a small Mary Garden at its main entrance, so I attribute the minimal damage and our safety to her who I know watches over us. But I still lit my blessed candle and prayed a Rosary during the peak of the storm as well :)
As I can not go to work for most of this week, I have some added time for Lectio!
Karinann, it is so good to hear that you made it through fine. Thanks be to God! I hope your Lectio is blessed indeed!
DeleteThanks for the prayers Colleen.
DeleteNancy, Scripture is always a great comfort in difficult situations. When I don't know where to go or where God wants me to read specifically, I usually open to the Psalms~there is something there for every situation and emotion.
Praise God! That truly is good news. We are in Newport and were very, very fortunate. Moreso than others in this little state of ours. Such devastation is difficult to see. Will continue to lift those who are still in the throes of it all and give thanks for those who were untouched. Now more than ever Lectio is so very important.
DeleteOh, and a Mary garden. Lovely! We (I) have been talking about beautifying a small area for a prayer sanctuary outdoors...I will be praying to Mary to guide our plans!
Thank you all for your prayers!
I am now closing this post to comments..... new ones are welcome at the latest post. See you there!
ReplyDelete