Hello again! I had been thinking of opening a new post once the number of comments reached 70, and we're almost there.
I am going ahead and starting fresh right now, however, because of the following, which I received via e-mail today. I will close the older post to comments, leaving the ones already there visible for when any of us wish to go back and read them.
"I have tried leaving a comment on your beautiful and poignant and resounding blog for the summer garden, saying that grace and prayer alone may change a garden into a heaven. But for some most unfortunate reason it will not accept my word press magsmuse entry or anonymous entry anymore. Just thought I would let you know in case anyone else had a problem posting."
I hope no one else has experienced difficulties..?
Just in case a fresh start helps in any way, here we are beginning a fresh page. You'll notice from the picture above that we moved into another "room" (our monastery has several parlors!). This one opens conveniently to the garden. Which you can see is filled with blossoms today....
To return to the Cloistered Heart blog after visiting here, click on this line.

Here I am, starting us out once again with my own "testing one two three!" If anyone has a problem posting a comment, would you please let me know via e-mail? (my e-mail is on the sidebar of the Cloistered Heart blog). I have no idea what we would DO about it.... but maybe someone reading this might be able to help.
ReplyDeleteNancy,
DeleteI love the Wobbling Toward sainthood post. We only get this one life to prepare for the biggest and best role of sainthood. Thank God for giving us the role models He has. I too am still wobbling like the little girl in the grownup high heels~saints' shoes are mighty hard to fit into, and while that maybe true, it is good to remember that as that quote from The Living Pyx of Jesus says that the saints were men before they were saints.
Also I was wondering about the number of comments on a blog like this~didn't know if there was a maximum allowed. May have to start another part of the Porch soon :)
I'm so glad we're wobbling along together, Karinann!!
DeleteI'd been wondering about whether or not there might be a maximum number of comments allowed... after all, I only know of two blogs made of and for comments :), so perhaps we're wobbling where no bloggers have wobbled before?? And then I got the above e-mail message from Mags, and I thought .. hmmm.. I'll at least try a new post and see if that makes any difference. Which I don't know until she or someone else tries it out, and I do hope any such persons meet with success. It would be a shame for a "for comments" blog to have trouble getting comments!!
Think I'll head over to your porch and sit awhile...I could use a nice sea breeze right about now....
Nancy....I have been away for a while now and could not wait to get home and find my way to the parlor...much to my surprise there is yet another parlor, and oh how I love it..I can just envision myself in that big beautiful room breathing in the nice crisp clean morning air saturated with the wonderful scent of roses and lavender, honeysuckle and much more..I can't wait to see the next parlor...however I feel I leave a little bit of myself in each one as we move along...but it is an amazing place to go back whenever we want the peace and quiet and sanctity of that space..I see that the table is already set for our stimulating fireside chat...I can't wait to hear your wonderful words and thoughts as they continue to teach me and touch me in such a profound way..a life changing way..I am learning to be still and quiet and listen to the Holy Spirit as He speaks to my heart through you and all who are sharing their inspirations so generously...thank you again for providing still another location in the monastery..I love exploring and learning more and more...You can never have too many parlors..God Bless...
DeleteWelcome back, Joy! You have such a wonderful way with words that a person not seeing the above "parlor picture" could easily envision it! Yes, the table is set, and we just sit back and bask in the holy wisdom of those who share here. Thanks to all of you! May we bring glory to God.
DeleteNancy, Wobbling is certainly how I would describe my journey to the audition! Wonderful thoughts on how dreams can be useful things and can call us forward. I had some very good role models as a child and a few that helped teach me what NOT to dream. In fact they taught me if I want to make that audition at all...I better learn to recognize a good script. Thanks to the Scriptures and the lives of the saints, I keep rehearsing.
ReplyDeleteBlessings +
Thanks so much, Caroline. I, too, had a few people in my young life who helped me learn what NOT to dream, and I thank God for the grace He gave me to "choose the better daydreams. :)" I LOVE what you said about recognizing a good script; that thought will stick with me.
Deletejust a little test to see if I am working here again and if my mags image will magically appear, now that it has been verified with gravatar. My posing problem appeared to be that I was signed in to Google blogger and word and the two were not linked, so for now I have signed out of google. This may be of technical help to anyone, but if not feel free not to post my comment this is just a test x here goes, fingers crossed †
ReplyDeleteYay! Looks like it worked, and welcome back!!!
DeleteNancy...
ReplyDeleteSince I have been away from the parlor for a while I am behind with reading the posts on both ..The Cloisterd Heart also. There was one that especially spoke to my heart..the one entitled Throw Wide the Gate. I love the art that you used. The first picture of Jesus knocking on the door patiently waiting to be invited in to our hearts through the door of faith..never barging in or pushing past us demanding entrance, but humbly knocking and patiently waiting on us be the one to make the choice to welcome Him in or not...what a chance He takes for rejection, for having the door slammed in His face, but He loves us enough and wants to come and dwell with us enough that He is willing to take that risk. What a powerful thought..Can you imagine that the Lord of Lords and King of Kings waits on me to act..Wow! That is humility. He loves us so much..I quickly and excitedly open the door to let Jesus in. He comforts me as He reassures me that He is there to stand guard at the door of my heart..protecting, watching..keeping my heart safe and sound..He will steady and secure the door when the winds of doubt, fear and pain come against it..when the storms of life leave their scars on the wood. He will reinforce it, strengthen it and make it even stronger than before to withstand future storms. Jesus is the "keeper" of the door of faith to our cloister..what a comfort to know and rest in His watchful gaze..
Thanks, Joy! I love your reflections on Throw Wide the Gate, and I thank you so much for sharing them here. I am particularly struck by what you said about Jesus reassuring us that He is there to stand guard, to protect, to keep the heart safe and sound. I'd had my mind on the opening of the door, but you've taken the meditation strikingly further for me. I hope everyone seeing that post will stop by "the parlor" and find your words. He IS the Keeper - what a comfort indeed!!
DeleteI don't know why,Nancy, but it took me awhile to really get into your blog. But lately, it really speaks to my heart and draws me to God. Thank you for writing The Cloistered Heart. I don't think mine is cloistered enough, but I'll try to move in that direction.
ReplyDeleteSo far, I also like the Prayer Corner. The short prayers appeal to me and give me food for contemplation.
God bless you!
Thank you, Ruth Ann. Your words about not thinking your heart is cloistered enough make me realize anew one of my ongoing struggles. Which is to BE cloistered for God, in the midst of the world, on an ongoing basis, every absolute day of my life. Only by the grace of God am I still trying to move in that direction. God be praised!
DeleteYou have planted a seed with the idea of 'The Cloistered Heart' and it's various meanings. And the substitution of the words 'Scripture /Church teaching is seamless. On another note, my wife just finished reading a book called 'A Right To Be Merry, by a nun who's name escapes me right now, who was one of the first Poor Clares in Roswell. A great book and you have a great site.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much. "A Right to be Merry" was written by the same author as the booklet I quoted ("Walls Around the World"). Mother Mary Francis PCC wrote a number of great titles; as far as I know A Right to be Merry was her first. I was privileged to have a bit of (merry!) correspondence with her in the early 1990s, all of it regarding the then-budding concept of the Cloistered Heart. Mother has now gone Home to God. Thank God so many of her wonderful words live on.
DeleteThank you again for such generous words.
Nancy...
ReplyDeleteI had to chuckle when I went to the Cloistered Heart today(July26th) and saw that precious little girl sitting there in her grill glasses...I said out loud (talking to myself)...Where did Nancy find that picture?..it is hilarious..
Well, we've heard of the term looking at life through rose colored glasses..why couldn't we look life through grill glasses..As you said, I'm not sure that we would be setting any fashion trend, but we would certainly be different than the majority. I have often felt that at times I march to a different drummer than others concerning different issues...My uncle who was a Methodist minister use to say that you have to be different to make a difference..wise words, so I for one would proudly wear my grill glasses and try to look at the world we live in, my life and the people who live there with me with a different eye...and try more to follow God's will for myself...Who knows, maybe just maybe, the glasses would slowly catch on and there would be many of us in grill glasses.This made my day, Nancy,thanks, Joy
Thank you, Joy! Yeah, maybe grille glasses will catch on and we'll be part of a fun trend...
DeleteI had originally thought of taking a photo of some old glasses, on which I would have painted "grillwork" using washable marker. Then I realized I could just draw in lines on computer using "Photoshop," by using a darkening tool, so I took the lazy way out and looked for public domain photo to use. When I saw the painting of this little girl, however, I just knew she "wanted to be cloistered!" :) I also liked that she appeared to be reading a newspaper, because don't we need the grillwork as we encounter the NEWS. !
Dearest Nancy and cloistered heart sisters, For a while now I have been describing and sharing my impossibly beautiful long dark night of the soul. From the secular to my cloister has been quite a journey. Often I have used the metaphor of being in my desert with God alone, where frequently it has been parched, where the 40 long days and nights have met with my 40 lived years. This really is just a little thank you, as I now consider my sometime desert, sometimes cell, sometimes sanctuary, my cloister.
ReplyDeleteMy place of seemingly permanent retreat, and my cloister is the metaphor at present in which I am happy to be in contemplation x God Bless you x
Thank you, magsmuse, for such a poignantly beautiful comment.
DeleteThis is, indeed, a beautiful, heartfelt comment...I think many of us certainly relate to what magsmuse shared..I have learned in my 60+ years lived that God does take us into the desert at differnt times, but He rarely leaves us there and in time leads us out again into His light and a life renewed, and in many ways we are changed and closer to Him. It was a lesson learned that we needed, and it could only be taught to us in the still and quiet and isolation of the desert..I have learned, as magsmuse, that at times the desert can be a desirable place to be and there is a comfort in knowing that God has me there for a reason and a season. It can be a most sought after cloister..I can, most certainly, trust Him knowing that He never leaves my side and that He has a plan. In His mercy and compassion He will put others there along the way that will bring me solace and comfort...a quenching cool drink or a much needed word of encouragement. All will be well..You are in my prayers as are all of our sisters...God Bless you...Joy
DeleteJust checking to see if I can comment here. I can! Great conversation!
ReplyDeleteAll shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well - St Julian of Norwich :O)
ReplyDeleteThank you Joy for prayers. I really am so very blessed. Not many of God's children in open cloisters have five darling children, an antique little home with their own private sanctuary, and are cared for by somebody who has enduring love.
For you - The patron Saint of Joy! ‘St. Philip Niri, possessed a playful humour, combined with a shrewd wit. He considered a cheerful temper to be more Christian than a melancholy one, and carried this spirit into his whole life:’ “A joyful heart is more easily made perfect than a downcast one.” I was received in on his feast day.
Hello Sisters. I love From This Day Forward. The commitment, the joy and peace from obedience to God's Will. The bride shows such peace, grace, and beauty; and I love the little girl looking on, taking it all in. Our actions are observed from those very close to us and also from those we may never know that might be observing. Mary
ReplyDeleteMary, thank you. I love what you noticed and pointed out!
DeleteI also liked this meditation, Mary...I especially liked the quote from St. Paul of the Cross, "Take the holy, gentle will of God as your spouse, wedded each moment by the ring of faith in which are set all the jewels of hope and love."...Oh my, how many times I have relied on God to be my husband, my spouse. Then I had to look at my ring...there I saw the band of "faith" with three diamonds...the one in the center a little bigger than the two on each side...I saw the two smaller ones as the jewels of "hope" and "love".. and the one main one in the center as God....there uniting all together and keeping it so...the band of faith...the jewels of hope and love...with God as the Center..the mainstay..what a comforting thought as I look at my ring periodically during the day and maybe even a little more often during a time of testing. He reminds me to rely fully on Him during these times and with faith, hope and love all will be well. God Bless, Joy
ReplyDeleteJoy, what a blessing to have such a reminder of God's love!
DeleteHey Nancy..
ReplyDeleteI had to giggle when I went to The Breadbox Letters today and saw the entry of Portrait of a ...saint??? Talk about drama...oh my with the young woman drapped across, what I think they used to call the "swooning" couch. I am trying to figure out if she has come from a funeral since she is all in black or if she has just had an long exhausting day and can take no more, as we probably all have felt at different times.
As to if we are called to be saints...I went back to my Baltimore Catechism days..Why Did God Make You? God made me to know Him and love Him and serve Him in tnis life and be happy with Him forever in the next..so yes, we are called to be saints. A lot easier said than done for sure...especially when you think about all of the sacrifices that the early saints endured, but we are called to live our daily lives offering what ever inconvinence or trial we may be going through at the time, and this offered with a pure heart is a big sacrifice. I remember as a child, I thought I wanted to be a martyr for my faith(childhood enthusiasm). However, having grown in age and wisdom, I can only hope that I would be courageous enough in that day...I hope and pray that I live everyday fulfilling the call that God has given me, and I think in that way, I will possibly be a saint one day...Good Lord willing. May God bless all of His saints....
Yep, she's pretty dramatic, isn't she?!? Just like me when I have a headache or a sore toe or OH so much to DOOOoooooooo ! Indeed, may God bless all of us and MAKE US SAINTS FOR HIS GLORY!
DeleteI want to live in the Cloistered Heart. The spiritual one, of course, but I mean the one you've created here online, Nancy. It is so beautiful, so peaceful here - the way I want the outside world to be. I think I carry a little corner of it with me through my days and am ever so glad I am able to come here and fill myself up with it again. God bless you for all you give to us here.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Tess! The great thing is that we CAN live, cloistered in the Heart of Jesus, wherever we go! The TOUGH thing (for me, anyway), is remembering this.....
DeleteI was reading a secular novel (I know... gasp, right?) and out leapt these words:
ReplyDeleteHoliness is not accepting the will of God over our own, but recreating our own will to match His.
I like the image of His will as a sheltering wall.
Oh, that is fabulous. It goes beyond mere acceptance into something much more active, which I like. An active participation... not just resignation with a long sigh. I think of rolling up my sleeves and getting busy! Thank you for sharing this, Tess. Hooray for good novels, no matter what their 'genre'!!!
DeleteNancy, I love this post on the image of St Peter in chains and how you link the prison bars to monastery grill work. With all my heart I long to live a cloistered life in praise of the one who set me free and to point others to the only one who "can unlock our chains".. Blessings and +
ReplyDeleteThank you, Caroline. I used to have a copy of this St. Peter in chains painting framed in my study (I'd cut it from a Church calendar !), and always thought of the bars as "grillwork." I, too, long to live a cloistered life.. as I suppose is obvious :)! Yes, there is only ONE Who can unlock our chains - may He be praised, forever!
DeleteDearest Nancy and cloistered sisters in heart this post reminded me in perfect timing of a blessing I only just discovered in the Jewish custom. A mezuzah is affixed to the doorframe in Jewish homes to fulfill the mitzvah (Biblical commandment) to inscribe the words of the Shema "on the doorposts of your house" (Deuteronomy 6:9). Some interpret Jewish law to require a mezuzah on every doorway in the home apart from bathrooms, and closets too small to qualify as rooms.[1] The parchment is prepared by a qualified scribe (a "sofer stam") who has undergone many years of meticulous training, and the verses are written in black indelible ink with a special quill pen. The parchment is then rolled up and placed inside the case.in the Jewish custom. In contemporary mezuzah's it often says 'I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine' as in the song of songs. How beautiful to repeat this everytime we pass through our doorways, where (in my home) I have a cross or a rosary hanging. So much gratitude and Love for your daily posts which are keeping me at present x God bless you with Love x mags
ReplyDeleteMags, thank you so very much for sharing this inspiring information. I love learning this... and will be thinking of it as go through rooms of my house. We have crosses and holy pictures at some of them... but not at others. Now I'm thinking of putting at least a small cross at every one. Yes, the more I think of it, the more I love the idea....
DeleteWhat a wonderful piece of information, and Mags explained it so well. Now I understand a scene in one of my favorite movies..Ben Hur..there is a part where he enters his home through the front door and pauses to kiss an object secured there on the door frame ..this must be the mezuzah... The prayer "I am my Beloved's and my Beloved is mine" is so beautiful..what a meaningful prayer for me to utter as I enter into my clositer each time, and one that could be be joined with covering myself with the sign of the cross more often that we read about the other day..these things have become such a habit with us..we probably don't give much thought to their blessings and power. We think of them as a small display of faith, but, in fact, they are very mighty and meaningful...Thank you for sharing this wealth of information..I loved it..
ReplyDeleteGod Bless...
Yes, Joy, Mags shared some good information, didn't she? (thank you again, Mags - I hope you're reading this :)!!!). And Joy, what you wrote about these things becoming a habit... and that, in fact, they are mighty and meaningful.. that thought is really sticking to my bones today. Thank you so much for saying that!
Delete